Need info on Sutton Incabloc Chronograph

Thread: Need info on Sutton Incabloc Chronograph

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need info on Sutton Incabloc Chronograph

It's a 17 jewel Sutton Chronograph.

Bought it about 15 years ago and have enjoyed it ever since. All functions work but it could use a proper restoration as the crystal is scratched and the case has a few dings. It has a screw down back and came originally (when I bought it) on a leather strap.

Any info about this timepiece that can be shared is appreciated.

Last edited by sonicflood; October 9th, 2008 at 16:23.

Re: Need info on Sutton Incabloc Chronograph

It looks like an early 1970s or late 1960s model. That's all we can say without a look at a movement picture. Thanks for posting.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

I'll post a pic of the movement in just a bit.

Thanks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Here's a (large) pic of the movement:

I've never had the back off of it but I'm suspicious as it looks too new! It says Precision Watch Co France inside.

Last edited by sonicflood; October 9th, 2008 at 16:41.

The ID of the movement is under the balance wheel... it looks like 55?? to me. That brings nothing to mind immediately.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

It's a Valjoux Cal. 7733 by the look of it. The Valjoux 7730 looked almost identical to the Venus 188 (it is a Valjoux remake of the Venus calibre after Valjoux took over Venus) with its old style chronograph cock (holding down the chrono central second and minute totalizer hands). By the Valjoux 7733, this had changed into a primitive looking "V". The best known of the series is probably the Valjoux 7734 which was "sold" to the Russians to become the Poljot Cal. 3313. Also compare:

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...k&Valjoux_7733

Hartmut Richter

Thanks for the info thus far! So what is the consensus? Is this movement original for this watch or likely a replacement? Is the Valjoux movement considered to be a "favorable" movement or a "cheapo" of low quality.

Any comments on the quality and watch history are appreciated as I am really curious as to what I have.

Thanks!

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Quote Originally Posted by sonicflood View Post
    Thanks for the info thus far! So what is the consensus? Is this movement original for this watch or likely a replacement? Is the Valjoux movement considered to be a "favorable" movement or a "cheapo" of low quality.

Any comments on the quality and watch history are appreciated as I am really curious as to what I have.

Thanks!
    The movement is genuine (Poljot didn't acquire the rights to it until rather later and clearly mark their movements). It is a transition phase movement between the earlier column wheel movements and their fine, curved bridge style and the more modern lever Valjoux movements with their functional lines which culminated in the Valjoux 7750 family which we have today. Since the watch has a lever system, it would be worth a touch less than the older column wheel chronos but not that much. (Same goes for Landeron, of course.) These Valjoux chronos are functional rather than aesthetic and as such are very robust - the 7750 testifies to that!! - and can be made to run accurately (within COSC specs).

Hartmut Richter

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sonicflood View Post

Thanks!
    The fact that the Soviets purchased the design specifically to develop a watch suitable for aerospace use says something of the quality of it.

Hi -

No need to put quotes around the "sold": the Soviets did buy not merely the rights to the movement, but also the entire set of used tooling to the movement. This was a bit of a scandal at the time, as there were technology-transfer limitations put on the Soviets after quite a bit of advanced machine tools were sold purportedly to civilian companies that immediately became military production factories. This was especially critical for precision parts for ICBM reentry vehicles, and some sales enabled the Soviets to increae the accuracy of their reentry vehicles by an order of magnitude, which didn't help the cold war at all.

This sale of the 7734 led to some official protests and the Swiss, while maintaining their precious neutrality, effectively ceased selling precision equipment to the Soviets. The other big scandal in this area was Toshiba's sale of advanced CNC multiple axis milling machines to the Soviets, which were promptly used to fine-tune propellers on Soviet subs, enabling them to improve their quietness by around two orders of magnitude.

I've got 3 watches with the 3313 inside, it's a very solid and robust performer. I even acquired 2 brand-new movements on eBay for just a few Euros for spare parts and for recreational purposes (just did a chronometer course, and it is very satisfying way to spend 4-5 hours...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information