need a little vintage Patek Philippe help

Thread: need a little vintage Patek Philippe help

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

need a little vintage Patek Philippe help

Can anyone tell me anything about this watch? It was my godfather's, now my mom's and she thinks that the cameo on the front may be done by Cartier. Other than that I know that it is a Patek Philippe watch/ pin I guess to be worn on the lapel or something and it was purchased in 1924. Below pictured: front and back of the watch, bill of sale with bank info and Patek Philippe rep info all over it, case inside and back with what appears to be a serial number. If it is not obvious those are diamonds that the watch is encrusted with.

Last edited by adewind; June 12th, 2008 at 05:57. Reason: info added

Re: need a little vintage Patek Philippe help

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi -

Wow. Excellent documentation!

I think it's a woman's watch designed to be pinned to her clothes as a brooch-like kind of thing (I know very little about women's jewelry...).

Anyone else? I know otherwise very, very little about Patek (who likes to keep their vintages close to home and who are known for acquiring many of their own vintages to keep the market price up...).

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

What more can we tell you, it's an antique work of art and you have excellent provenance.
    A legendary watch included, worth a king's ransom when it was purchased. it would be over $12,000 in todays terms. The Cameo may indeed be done by Cartier as they fitted a lot of Patek's to their merchandise back in the 1920s.
    It's a very very valuable piece and you should explore special insurance for it.
    Oh yes it is a brooch watch for ladies.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thanks for the input guys. Not too worried about the price as there is no way I am going to sell this thing since it is highly unlikely that I will ever be able to afford a Patek myself . However, if anyone knew anything about the style, the cameo or just anything historical about the watch I'd love to hear it. Anyway, thanks again.

The best bet would be to get the watch serial number and contact Patek Philippe directly. They will be able to give you lots of information about the watch. They will likely be most interested in seeing the pictures.
    No kidding, this is an Antique Roadshow type of piece. I haven't seen anything like it in the time I've been on this forum.
    http://www.patek.com/patek-philippe.html

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I'd hate to spoil the party but that watch may have been at least "tampered" with. Or why does it say "PATEK PHILLIPE" on the dial when it should be "PATEK PHILIPPE"?!! At the very least, a (value reducing) redial seems possible.

Hartmut Richter

Great catch on the spelling. Dial may have been restored? Compare spelling on the paperwork. The best cameos are Italian made. From shell and hand carved. They have machines to mass produce them now. Some antique malls and shows have some fine examples to look at.

wow I can't believe that I missed that. I have no idea what that could mean?? Could my godfather's mother have bought a fake in 1924?? Somehow this seems unlikely but I think it definitely may be time to contact Patek.

Is there any way it could be an error that the watchmaker made? Or as you guys said perhaps the dial was redone?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information