Need opinions bad want to buy but doubts about old dial finish

Thread: Need opinions bad want to buy but doubts about old dial finish

Need opinions bad want to buy but doubts about old dial finish

Hi Folks, Not really sure where this should be posted but... Theres a watch I want really bad. Its vintage and the face or dial is beautiful,but filled with very fine lines. I may be answering my own question, Im thinking, as I write this.I wanted opinions on how long it would last until a chip fell off of the actual surface. Its like the lines in an old painting. You could say thats part of the charm. but Im a stickler for Mint. It dosent bother me the way it is now, it would bother me if it would tend to all flake off. And really who knows if it would or wouldnt.And who knows how long, only the Stars above. So If you want to respond with a thought.... but I might have answered my own question, or maybe not, but since its written, Ill post it. Any thoughts?
    P&P

Re: Need opinions bad want to buy but doubts about old dial finish

I assume you are talking about an enameled dial... very fine lines don't usually mean flaking is in the future. Flaking usually requires additional mistreatment like dropping or picking at it with tweezers, etc.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Re: Need opinions bad want to buy but doubts about old dial finish

Quote Originally Posted by parrotandpitbull View Post
    Hi Folks, Not really sure where this should be posted but... Theres a watch I want really bad. Its vintage and the face or dial is beautiful,but filled with very fine lines. I may be answering my own question, Im thinking, as I write this.I wanted opinions on how long it would last until a chip fell off of the actual surface. Its like the lines in an old painting. You could say thats part of the charm. but Im a stickler for Mint. It dosent bother me the way it is now, it would bother me if it would tend to all flake off. And really who knows if it would or wouldnt.And who knows how long, only the Stars above. So If you want to respond with a thought.... but I might have answered my own question, or maybe not, but since its written, Ill post it. Any thoughts?
    P&P
    The answer really depends on what is the dial finished with. If it's a porcelain dial like you would see on an older pocketwatch that fine crazing is non uncommon. But check for cips at the outer margin. If it's painted enamel or some other material then it could be much less stable. Please post picture.
    Last edited by John MS; September 9th, 2010 at 18:11.

Thread Information