Need some help with buying a new watch
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Emre
  • 1 Post By LoveSexAndDrugs

Thread: Need some help with buying a new watch

Need some help with buying a new watch

I'm looking to get a new watch for around £300 (about 400 euros). I'm mainly set on Omega or Longines. Even though my fav is a Constellation pie pan I doubt my budget will be enough for something like that.

I am thinking a Seamaster or the classic Conquest is a more realistic desire. Would my budget be enough for a good condition one? Unfortunately I got no experience in any of the brands as my collection consists mainly Roamer, Certina and Bulova.

Anybody could recommend me a trusted seller in UK, or even Europe, as ebay seems more like a gamble nowadays.

I don't really have a preference other than steel over gold plated. Are manual mechanisms more reliable than automatics? I've seen a lot of Omegas where the motor comes in contact with the case.

Thanks
    Last edited by LoveSexAndDrugs; June 9th, 2015 at 17:43.

Re: Need some help with buying a new watch

I believe you can find a decent model in that price range, but it will take a good deal of scouring. Unfortunately we do see a good deal of fakes/ parts watches being passed off as original vintage. Please post a request here if you've questions on a specific piece.
    Ebay still has some good spots, and maybe even will get better as they and PayPal separate.
    As for manuals vs. autos, I think the ones you've seen are more because someone messed with them. Omega would not ship a defective mechanism.

~D
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

I seriously doubt that you can find a decent 1950s Conquest or a Pie-Pan on eBay in that price range- it's possible, but bloody hard. A 1960s Conquest, yes, but they are quite far from the original Conquest in terms of looks. I absolutely understand why you're looking for a Pie-Pan or a Conquest- they're some of the most classy designs around.
    Sadly, vintage Omegas are generally a minefield. Redials, frankens, fakes, you name it. In case of Longines, redials are the usual sort of "something-isn't-right" watches.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Good choices, hard to decide.

Why not post here what you like, common knowledge and opinions will help you make a good buy.

Thanks for your replies. Well I was looking at this one. Not quite fond of Genve model in terms of design but is something I would consider.

From my point of view it seems ok apart from some small spots on the dial. However I could not find the case serial in Omega database.

Name:  $_12.JPG
Views: 80
Size:  38.4 KBName:  $_57 (1).JPG
Views: 87
Size:  71.0 KB
    Name:  $_57 (3).JPG
Size:  305.5 KBName:  $_57 (2).JPG
Size:  312.5 KB
    busmatt likes this.

That's because the Omega database has quite an annoying system. In case of the 161.009 you have to type in 161.0009. Then this shows up:
    OMEGA Watches: Vintage Watches Database
    The case design is right, the movement and the case material are incorrect... Or are they? The two letters before the reference number are the key.
    The database entry is for a BA 161.009, solid gold, calibre 552.
    I think that since the dial design is correct, and the case type is, the watch should be OK- there might be a date version with a calibre 565, which uses the same case shape, but comes in stainless steel. In theory, it's OK. The problem with the watch you've found is that we can only do a lot of theoretical talking, but there is no solid evidence that the watch is legit. Also, the difference between the colour of plating of the rotor and the rest of the movement is disturbing, and likely the watch has been meddled with.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

I was able to find the case reference number on the Omega website:

OMEGA Watches: Vintage Watches Database - Ref. 161.0009

Unfortunately the dial, case and movement caliber do not match up. I think this is a frankenwatch put together from genuine Omega parts.

I would not recommend purchasing this watch. This is in line with the prior comments that the cheaper Omegas wind up having been doctored in some way that destroys whatever collector value it had originally.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

now that you've mentioned it I kinda see it also.. the rotor seems to be a bit more yellowish than the rest of the movement. Thanks by the way

does the database has registered almost all models and variations?

Thanks gatorcpa .. I actually knew how the system works but I did not see 09 at the end but 99.. so I guess that's why didn't show up

Ill be surfing on the internet and post again whenever I find another one. Much appreciated your help.
    Last edited by LoveSexAndDrugs; June 9th, 2015 at 21:31.

The database omits a whole lot of models and variations. Nevertheless, even if this one would be such an unlisted variant, the movement has been most likely frankened and therefore this watch is not a safe buy.
    Edgar Allan Poe

George Orwell

Erich Maria Remarque

If you look at loads of pictures of old watches you get an idea of what an old watch should look like and you know what to expect, so then you start to get a feel for when something is not quite right. Something subtle like the colour or finish of the different parts not matching is one of those things that you almost pick up subconsciously after a while. Its not always enough to say a watch isn't legit, but it's enough to raise a question mark and lead you to checking the rest of it more closely, either through Google or posting here for further advice etc.
    But like anything else in life, if you are paying that much for something it's best to be cautious and be ready to walk away if you're not totally happy.

Thread Information