Need some info about this golden watch...

Thread: Need some info about this golden watch...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Need some info about this golden watch...

Hi guys, recently i found this golden watch belonged to my grand grand father or grand grand grand father, anyway I have no experience it this matter and I am searching for more info about origin and some kind of evaluation. I searched the internet but didn't found a watch similar to
    this one. Any help is appriciated.

Re: Need some info about this golden watch...

It looks like a pretty modern production pocket-watch. If I recall, non-magnetic watches didn't come in until the 1940s or something. My guess would be (and this is a guess and nothing else) that it's from the 50s at the earliest.

If you can get the caseback off (and I think this one just unscrews) and photograph the movement and the inside of the caseback, we may be able to tell you if the watch is solid gold or gold-filled and what quality of movement it has.

We don't give any evaluations here, sorry. It's not easy to evaluate watches based purely on photographs, which is why this site doesn't do it.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

I managed to open it

Quote Originally Posted by Shangas View Post
    It looks like a pretty modern production pocket-watch. If I recall, non-magnetic watches didn't come in until the 1940s or something. My guess would be (and this is a guess and nothing else) that it's from the 50s at the earliest.

If you can get the caseback off (and I think this one just unscrews) and photograph the movement and the inside of the caseback, we may be able to tell you if the watch is solid gold or gold-filled and what quality of movement it has.

We don't give any evaluations here, sorry. It's not easy to evaluate watches based purely on photographs, which is why this site doesn't do it.

Look what I found inside:

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Could be 1940s. Here's a link to a wristwatch for sale, also non-magnetic.

http://www.farfo.com/menswatches/Pag...prixsteel.html

Dr. Ranft's movement resource does not show this particular movement, but several 15 jewels from the 1940s that do appear similar.

Doesn't appear to be a very expensive watch given that it's 15 jewels.
    "My grail showed up today"

Typical art-deco style watch.It was rather known brand in 1930s and 1940s.I'm proud owner of one rectangular art-deco "Election" wrist watch myself.

Regards!
    “Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings - always darker, emptier and simpler.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.portalsatova.com/forum/

Re: I managed to open it

Neat...I've never seen a watch use a bridge for the balance. Wonder why they did that? Favre-Leuba used to do that on some of their watches.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

We have had a thread on that one:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=374368

This is the evolution that started with that patent.
    Very nice watch!
    really like it...

regards,
    RJ van Melle.

PS: Now this is nice to see threads linked with each other, to see horological evolution. cool HUH?

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    Neat...I've never seen a watch use a bridge for the balance. Wonder why they did that? Favre-Leuba used to do that on some of their watches.
    Nowadays, they are quite common. Rolex seem to have started the trend - at least all of their movements have that now. Also Glashütte Original, Audemars Piguet, Omega Cal. 8500.....

But as far as I know, this is definitely a modern feature so it shows that the watch is probably post WWII.

Hartmut Richter

Re: Bridge for balance

Some Seiko calibres had them in the 1960s eg Seiko Champion and Seiko Cronos manual winds.

And their automatic chronographs in the 1970s
    Seiko 6138

Seiko 6139

I thought I had seen one on another brand too but now I can't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Nowadays, they are quite common. Rolex seem to have started the trend - at least all of their movements have that now. Also Glashütte Original, Audemars Piguet, Omega Cal. 8500.....

But as far as I know, this is definitely a modern feature so it shows that the watch is probably post WWII.

Hartmut Richter

Something I know for sure is that watch is made before 1945 .. My grand grand father died in 1945, the watch belonged to him or his father. Great condition of the watch is because it was well kept in treasure box in bank.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information