Need some info on this Girard Perregaux Gyromatic wristwatch

Thread: Need some info on this Girard Perregaux Gyromatic wristwatch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need some info on this Girard Perregaux Gyromatic wristwatch

Now I have been bitten by the vintage wristwatch bug! It seems like there are plenty fake and/or frankenstein vintage watches out there.
    Hope this one is genuine. Seller did not have any info on it, anybody have a clue from when it might be and what the current market value range is?

PS Picture looks like there is some kind of spot on dial, dial is 99% mint with just 1 or 2 lame pips missing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0266.JPG 
Views:	313 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	6331002
    Last edited by palex19; December 16th, 2015 at 00:27.

Re: Need some info on this Girard Perregaux Gyromatic wristwatch

Looks like a 1960's model. Without seeing the movement, hard to tell about anything else. Also, valuations are not given here but you can take info given and search auction sites for that.
    Bobby - My original music! Check me out! Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...11CC8CC6093D80

As to the amount of fakes/frankens out there, Girard-Perregaux is unfortunately one of the most often faked brands- in terms of vintage watches, it only gets worse than in case of their contemporary pieces.
    That's because GP used generic movements- slightly modified, but still generic- so making a fake GP is not really a challenge to a counterfeiter.
    The other thing that you'd want to avoid are redials. OK, a refurbished dial looks new and shiny, but its collectible value is massively decreased by that.
    With the picture you've provided, it isn't really possible to tell whether it's a fake/franken, and determining whether it's got a genuine dial is- frankly- the last thing that I would refer to as "possible".
    If the seller does not provide a proper photo of the dial, the inner side of the case back, and the movement, then I would walk away. That's because just like Ulysse Nardin, Breitling, Omega and Rolex, vintage GPs are a real minefield. And stepping on such a "mine" results in a costly disappointment.

If you've just been bitten by the vintage watch bug, and therefore you are just starting to collect, I would advise looking at other brands first- you wouldn't want to get discouraged by a bad purchase.
    Have a look at Tissot, Eterna, Longines, Zenith... Not that these aren't faked/frankenized, but since they have used pro maiori parte in-house calibres, they're considerably less of a risk. And all the ones I've mentioned are pretty well documented (accurate dating of the watch is usually possible) Redials are generally a plague of the vintage watch market, so the choice of brand doesn't help to avoid them. Should you need help in identifying/verifying a watch that you want to buy, you can always ask for help in this forum- we just need good photos
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Maybe these two pics help in authenticating....

Name:  screenshot_365.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  1,011.5 KB

Name:  screenshot_364.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  761.2 KB

Looks like it's the 17-jewel version of this one:
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Girard-Perregaux 42.0
    As to the dial, I don't know if the sides of the hour markers are simply shiny, and he light reflects in them, or is it paint creeping up the dial markers. The latter would indicate a redial, but here I'm really not sure. I also find the font a little bit suspicious- the font used for "Girard-Perregaux" looks like in their Chronometer HF watches, but the one used for "Gyromatic" looks slightly odd- well, to me it does.
    Let's wait for the others to chime in.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

I know so little about GP, but to me the lettering on the rotating winder in the movement shot looks to be at odds with the style of the "seventeen jewels" wording at the bottom, which was almost certainly added when the movement was made. Also, it may be a trick of the photograph, but doesn't the GP wording look to be a few thousandths of an inch lower on the right-hand side? To me that speaks of lettering added after the caliber was created.

Suspicious in my eyes.
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

It does appear that it is very difficult to tell which watch part may or may not be totally original, refurbished or just an excellent fake! I used to collect silver dollars and those have their own set of 'enhancements' some people bestow upon them. But I developed an eye for those after a while. Never got a complete fake and the Chinese got very good recently. Interestingly the Secret Service (whose job is to go after counterfeiting, and silver dollars are still legal currency) do not pursue these guys. Must be political.

Back to the watch, I bought it because I was reasonable sure its not completely bogus and just like the look. For the couple hundred I paid I got a time piece I will happily wear (along with all the others)

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

"GXM" US import code on balance cock for G-P.

If the dial is refinished, it is an extremely convincing one.

Looks good to me, but I'm no expert.

Cool, then please post some nice photos when the watch gets in your hands. It certainly is a timeless design.
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Hello! If I saw this watch in a shop for sale, I think-- at this moment-- I'd assume it was Real...the dial looks good, and the movement--while to my eye certainly an example of one of GP's lower-grades-- does exhibit a style of regulator that looks to be above-average. I own a few older GP's, so I have some idea(!) what they're like. Looks OK.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information