Need some information on Lecoultre Futurematic!
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Need some information on Lecoultre Futurematic!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need some information on Lecoultre Futurematic!

Hello, I want to buy a Lecoultre Futurematic watch. Do anybody here have experience with these Lecoultre watches? I just love the style and shape of these old Lecoultre watches!

I watched a auction some days ago of this particular model and the auction ended with $755 which is quite a high amount for an old watch.

I found this on Ebay:
    LECOULTRE BLACK DIAL FUTUREMATIC LONG LUGS | eBay

Expensive!

Best Regards Nome93

Re: Need some information on Lecoultre Futurematic!

I have a lot of experience with these watches from a collector point of view. I own one example of each of the two movements used.

These are very expensive watches for a reason. I call them the horological equivalent of the Mazda Wankel (rotary) engine. There are a few other real "out-there" techonological innovations on the Futurematics that make then desireable watches among vintage collectors. You can find out a lot more here:

Jaeger-LeCoultre Futurematic

The dial on the watch you are looking at is original and the case looks to be in good condition. However, I would stay away from this one do to the broken hack lever. You will never find one at a reasonable cost.

Better to pay more for one in better condition,
    gatorcpa
    Last edited by gatorcpa; September 13th, 2012 at 17:49.

Hello! Thanks for your answer and good information!

Nome93

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Isn't possible to buy parts for the hack lever on Ebay? Or will that be unreasonable to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by gatorcpa View Post
    I have a lot of experience with these watches from a collector point of view. I own one example of each of the two movements used.

These are very expensive watches for a reason. I call them the horological equivalent of the Mazda Wankel (rotary) engine. There are a few other real "out-there" techonological innovations on the Futurematics that make then desireable watches among vintage collectors. You can find out a lot more here:

Jaeger-LeCoultre Futurematic

The dial on the watch you are looking at is original and the case looks to be in good condition. However, I would stay away from this one do to the broken hack lever. You will never find one at a reasonable cost.

Better to pay more for one in better condition,
    gatorcpa

Quote Originally Posted by nome93 View Post
    Isn't possible to buy parts for the hack lever on Ebay? Or will that be unreasonable to do that?
    Good luck finding one without buying a whole movement that will cost hundreds. Due to shoddy watchmaking techniques, the hack level is one of the most common parts to break on the Futurematic. Not to mention that service costs are exorbitant on these watches as there are few people who can properly service them.

I rarely wear mine for fear of breakage,
    gatorcpa

+1 on staying away from a piece with a broken hack lever !

Absolute love the Futurematics and do own a few , but you would have to find a competent watchmaker, capable of servicing and/or repairing them; it is not rocket science, but does require a fair bit of experience - although I live in Europe, my Futurematics travel to Oregon for service work.

Here is a link to my post on another forum w/ a bit of Futurematic History:
    TimeZone : Jaeger-LeCoultre » JLC Vintage SOTC (and some historic/horological rumblings)
    NT931, Hoozah and Mirius like this.

WOW!!! Nice collection! I particulary like the model with black and gold colored dial!

WatchFred: that is a truly amazing and lovely collection of Futurematics. The range of straps that go along with it also shows the versatility of the watch! (and of course, your good taste). Awesome!

nome93: I've been lucky to recently become an owner of a Futurematic too (white dial). It is a really lovely watch that attracted positive comments on the very first day I wore it. I am really pleased with the watch, and I am hoping it doesn't break down! The thunking of the bumper seems to bother some people, but frankly it doesn't bother me at all.

WatchFred and Gatorcpa: as a new Futurematic owner , could I consult you how often you wear a particular Futurematic? I'm planning to wear mine 3-4 times a month, and I work in an office environment. Is that pretty much OK for a Futurematic?

as my collection would have to be called "proof of addiction" none of my watches receives as much wrist time as it would deserve, but I wear my Futurematics as dress watches relatively frequently and frankly never hesitate to put it on; I own those watches to enjoy them. just make sure it is decently serviced before you run it, if the lubricants have run dry you might damage the movement and run up considerable costs for repairs and spare parts - and these are not easy to find.

Thanks WatchFred!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information