Need some opinions - Zodiac Hermetic
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Need some opinions - Zodiac Hermetic

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I haven't got any Zodiac so far so I am not familiar with the models. There is a thread for one but the dial is different. And on google every model i find has different dial.
    As far as I can tell the crown doesn't appear to be original and more certainly will need a new crystal. Underneath it seems to hide a nice clean dial but I don't know if the hands are original. The logo is missing, or some older models didn't have it? also the movement as much as I can tell from that pic it seems like an ETA 1080 but I am not sure. I wish I could have better pics.

It is sold as working and keeping good time but is mentioned as "sometimes the winder slips" which could be a mainspring problem? Or maybe the stem?
    What you guys think? Thanks

Name:  $_12 (2).JPG
Views: 1101
Size:  29.6 KBName:  $_12 (1).JPG
Views: 1036
Size:  27.8 KBName:  $_12.JPG
Views: 1045
Size:  40.3 KB
    Last edited by LoveSexAndDrugs; December 16th, 2013 at 00:11.

Re: Need some opinions - Zodiac Hermetic

http://www.vintagezodiacs.com

That's where owners of pre-2000 Zodiacs gather. Butch, the site owner, can connect you with a company that can service the quite reasonably.

Rick "not trusting claims of service on eBay" Denney
    Zenith: Captain Chronograph 03.2110.400*; Cartier: Santos 100 XL Concord: Mariner, C1 Big-Date, C1 v.2 Chronograph; Ebel: Chronosport 1134901, Tekton 9137L83*, Type E 9137C41* (*=COSC)
    Ebel: 1911 BTR 9137L73* and 9139L71*, 1911 1120L41*, 1911 Senior 9080241, Brasilias 9120M41 (2), Aquatica 500 9120K61, Classic Hexagon GMT 9301F61, Classic 100 LE 9120R41; Baume & Mercier: Capeland World-Timer
    Heuer: Carrera 1964 Re-Edition CS3110; Maurice Lacroix: Masterpiece MP6439; "Seagull": 1963 Reissue cal. ST19; Seiko: Black Monster SRP307; Poljot: Sturmanskie cal. 3133; Tissot: T-Touch Lew and Huey: Acciona
    Vintage: JLC: ref. 2953, ca. 1946; Longines: Flagship cal 285; Zodiac: SST cal. 86, Aerospace GMT cal. 72; Favre-Leuba: cal. 253; Tianjin: Dong Feng cal. ST5; Elgin: Gr. 152 (1898), Gr. 384 (1919); Ebel: ca. 1962 ref. 9214955
    WUS: ST5 Project Watches (Black and Blue), F72.2014.DG3804 (Gray and Cream); Swatch: Sistem 51 Blue; TNT: Rattrapante cal. Rochat 7750+RAT-1

That's an early one. Very early 50's? I really like Zodiac's (you'll see one in my pic) but I'm not real up on the early manual winds. It looks pretty good to me though. I'm assuming it's not a ton of money? If so, I would take a shot at it if it's what you are looking for.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi LSD. Here's a pic of my Hermetic; my dial is original and untouched. Mine does have a Zodiac crown, but the crest is heavily worn. And mine is a gold cap, whereas I think yours is steel. My serial number is 101049, so I'd guess it predates yours, although hard to know if they were consistent with their numbering policy. But the second hands are similar, which I'd guess was the style of the model. I haven't re-lumed my hands, but someone may have a while back - they don't look as fresh in life as they photograph.

Anyway, my movement is the same as the one you have pictured - I'll look up what I have recorded as calibre number tomorrow. And for vintage Zodiacs, Butch does know his stuff and the repair guy he suggests, Andy of Ultra Vintage, is good and reasonably priced. But he's in Ohio, and so may not be so convenient for you...

Attachment 1313350
    Last edited by Habitant; December 16th, 2013 at 00:58.

Thanks guys. Well I don't know for how much this brand should go for.. ive seen models of Hermetic between 50 and 400$ in similar condition. I'm thinking they got different movements and that's why? this one is around 40-50$
    I know that site, however the closest I could find is this one, however there is a slight difference on the dial and hands:
    Name:  SerNo258424_fs.jpg
Views: 1042
Size:  35.1 KB

Well no doubt a gold case looks better and so is the red seconds hand. and yes that's steel. no rush, would be nice to have a confirmation of the movement. As for London-Ohio.. is a bit far away.. I got a few watches waiting for service ( crystal change, oiling etc..) so in case Ill buy it and it works as mentioned I will wear it like that until ill have more to get them repaired all at once. Ive been already recommended some watchmakers in London. but I was thinking if the problem comes from the stem then I can just replace it all with a nos piece + crown.

Edit: and since the thread is open and I want to avoid spamming the forum. this is on it's way to me. ( was cheaper then the pizza I ate today) It's in perfect working order and I am hoping polywatch will do the job The dial on the other hand might need a professional cleaning but for that money I can't ask for more.
    Name:  $_12.JPG
Views: 1078
Size:  22.2 KB
    Last edited by LoveSexAndDrugs; December 16th, 2013 at 01:28.

Zodiac made many different configurations of dress watches, many of which were never given names. My dress watch could be considered a Hermetic, but really it's just a dress watch (probably a decade or more later than yours). We don't do valuations, but they sell at the lower end of your range. (The Sea Wolf, Aerospace GMT, and Astrographic models get much more.) I paid a little over a hundred for mine, and then had it serviced in Ohio. Mine has the high-beat cal. 88 movement, but this case was used for standard cal. 76 Hermetic models, too, in the 60's.

They are really not worth in dollars more than servicing and the initial price, but they are worthless when not in good running condition.

Rick "who loves the funkiness of this watch" Denney
    derids likes this.
    Zenith: Captain Chronograph 03.2110.400*; Cartier: Santos 100 XL Concord: Mariner, C1 Big-Date, C1 v.2 Chronograph; Ebel: Chronosport 1134901, Tekton 9137L83*, Type E 9137C41* (*=COSC)
    Ebel: 1911 BTR 9137L73* and 9139L71*, 1911 1120L41*, 1911 Senior 9080241, Brasilias 9120M41 (2), Aquatica 500 9120K61, Classic Hexagon GMT 9301F61, Classic 100 LE 9120R41; Baume & Mercier: Capeland World-Timer
    Heuer: Carrera 1964 Re-Edition CS3110; Maurice Lacroix: Masterpiece MP6439; "Seagull": 1963 Reissue cal. ST19; Seiko: Black Monster SRP307; Poljot: Sturmanskie cal. 3133; Tissot: T-Touch Lew and Huey: Acciona
    Vintage: JLC: ref. 2953, ca. 1946; Longines: Flagship cal 285; Zodiac: SST cal. 86, Aerospace GMT cal. 72; Favre-Leuba: cal. 253; Tianjin: Dong Feng cal. ST5; Elgin: Gr. 152 (1898), Gr. 384 (1919); Ebel: ca. 1962 ref. 9214955
    WUS: ST5 Project Watches (Black and Blue), F72.2014.DG3804 (Gray and Cream); Swatch: Sistem 51 Blue; TNT: Rattrapante cal. Rochat 7750+RAT-1

Thanks. Nice watch btw. I know is no valuations and that's why I didn't ask for it, I just answered John's question.
    Last edited by LoveSexAndDrugs; December 16th, 2013 at 02:28.

On the Hermetic: if there's a winding problem, it would be more likely to be a bit deeper than just changing the stem (I am not a watchmaker, though!) and I would suspect the setting lever spring first, myself. As to the movement, I just looked and see that I haven't written down what mine is! So I'll have to dig it out and have a look myself. Not sure about the hands on the second Hermetic you sent through, they look like generic hands from a materials house. But take a look on Butch's Vintage Zodiac site, there's a picture gallery there.

London watch makers: I know I mentioned the Little Yellow Watch shop, but across the street, Jon @ Antique Watch Company 19 Clerkenwell Road, London, EC1M 5RD (Vintage Wrist Watches, Antique Watch Co UK Second Hand Watches) is very good, too. I've actually had him do a few complex repairs and was very satisfied - the reason I didn't mention him before is that the last time I was in, they were quite busy, so longish waits, and I had thought you just wanted a quick crystal change. He overhauled my Rolex and stood behind it all the way, which impressed the heck out of me.

Like the Waltham (another underpriced brand, like Cyma, in my opinion)! Is it carbon fibre or just carbon fibre effect?
    Last edited by Habitant; December 18th, 2013 at 00:16.

Speaking of Ohio, 88Ds and funky watches... here is a Zodiac that the self-same man in Ohio did for me (a bit of dust on the crystal, sorry, since cleaned!). But funky and heavy and very accurate.
    Attachment 1313844

Quote Originally Posted by Rdenney View Post
    Zodiac made many different configurations of dress watches, many of which were never given names. My dress watch could be considered a Hermetic, but really it's just a dress watch (probably a decade or more later than yours). We don't do valuations, but they sell at the lower end of your range. (The Sea Wolf, Aerospace GMT, and Astrographic models get much more.) I paid a little over a hundred for mine, and then had it serviced in Ohio. Mine has the high-beat cal. 88 movement, but this case was used for standard cal. 76 Hermetic models, too, in the 60's.

They are really not worth in dollars more than servicing and the initial price, but they are worthless when not in good running condition.

Rick "who loves the funkiness of this watch" Denney
    derids and LoveSexAndDrugs like this.

Thanks for the info. It seems too much trouble and eventually i suspect it wil cost me more than a full working one. Yours is very flashy.. superb dial model. It seems like most people go for automatic ones. I should probably do the same as all my watches are manual.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information