Need some pro eyes on a Vintage Seamaster 600

Thread: Need some pro eyes on a Vintage Seamaster 600

Need some pro eyes on a Vintage Seamaster 600

I wanted to get some pro opinions on this Seamaster, I'm trying to find out if I should keep it and get it serviced or not. I also want to know if I overpaid(which I'm assuming I did).
    I dial is in too good of condition so I can only assume it has been refinished, but it looks fine to me. I actually prefer a refinished dial over one with patina. It's weird that "swiss made" is off the edge, is this common? The hands look worn but they are not discolored. Some scratches on the crystal and case. A lot of nicks on the lugs.

Even though the picture makes part of the movement look discolored, it is actually uniform. To me the movement doesn't look cobbled together. It does feel like it's hard to wind though and I don't know if that's normal.

Here are the pictures to go along with the description. I had a real hard time getting the pictures to come out.

IMG_2232 by v1100110, on Flickr

IMG_2234 by v1100110, on Flickr

IMG_2228 by v1100110, on Flickr

IMG_2225 by v1100110, on Flickr

IMG_2239 by v1100110, on Flickr

IMG_2241 by v1100110, on Flickr

So what do you guys think, is this watch worth $250? Should I send it back, or keep it and put a little work into it?
    Last edited by v1100110; December 4th, 2010 at 16:26.

Re: Need some pro eyes on a Vintage Seamaster 600

Personally, I like it, and I do believe it is worth $250, but I would say that is the upper end, especially as an unserviced watch. If you don't want it, let me know!

Banned

If it's a redial, it's a very good one. The 600 series manual winds are good movements. I had a 611 inside a Seamaster De Ville - it wasn't hard to wind at all. You'll definitely feel the ratchet as you twist the crown but it should wind without much effort. The watch probably needs a service, regardless of what the seller claimed.

I think you got your money's worth.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If this is a redial, than it is indeed a rather good one - "Omega" and the lettering seem to be centered and using the proper font - a feat not accomplished by everyone... The "Swiss made" being at the very bottom, or even too far at the outer edge, I have seen on other watches (original dials) too. But if this dial looks pristine, without any aging... well, hard to tell on Your pictures.
    The movement looks good. 250 is also ok.
    About the wind: A service is always a good idea, however sometimes a little lube on the tube of the crown might help, it might just be sticky (if it is a new crown). I'd rather take it to a watchmaker for that, he can also take a closer look and determine how bad it is in need of a service.

From what I can tell from the photo's.....that looks fine to me!!

As already said, if it is a redial, it's a pretty darn good one!!

Sounds like it needs a service, which is usually a good idea on acquiring a new 'old' watch, and money wise.....think you did ok.

Enjoy

I updated the pictures in the original post above. These show the detail of the watch much better, although the dial is more of a champagne color. I actually couldn't tell that the second hand didn't match before I took these. These pictures also show the imperfections like the nicks in the case. If you click on the pictures and go view them on flickr at their larger size you can see them a lot better. I just didn't want to post them all huge into the forum.

I agree with everyone not finding fault in the dial, I couldn't either. I just assumed that something was up because it looks so clean. It must be new, I can't imagine the dial looking that good after all this time. Especially with the way the hands look. New or redial is fine with me if it looks this good though. Does anyone know if the black mark on the hands is just a black mark or if it is where some lume used to be?

Anyway, if you guys still think it's worth keeping can anyone give me a recommendation for a watchmaker? I'd like to get it looking good if I'm going to keep it.
    Last edited by v1100110; December 4th, 2010 at 16:43.

Quote Originally Posted by v1100110 View Post
    Does anyone know if the black mark on the hands is just a black mark or if it is where some lume used to be?

Yep, that's where it would have had a smidgen of lume!! You could get that re-done if you so desired?? I know it bothers some, but I'm not really fussed about it on vintage watches!!

Thread Information