Never ending story Part I

Thread: Never ending story Part I

Never ending story Part I

pic is lost, here´s a new:

first part has ended finally, and luckily. ( see pics) Story has begun many years ago. It was at the time when I began to collect watches. I bought nearly anything that ticked. Wristwatches, pocketwatches, some wallclocks. As well as dials, cases, hundreds of single movements – I always thought, one of these days I´ll make some watches from this stuff.. I didn´t believe the old watchmaker, who said „ You´ll never find a case to a single movement and the other way round“.
    So one day I purchased two NOS cases on a watch fair in Cologne. One for a Chronomvnt and one for > Never ending story Part II < following soon ( I hope ).
    Next, I tried to find out for which mvnt my case was. The old watchmaker said „ You´ll never find...“. But I began to collect books, magazins and auction-katalogs. I learned that the case was for Valjoux 72c or 730. BINGO ! Go out and try to find a Valjoux 72c without case! Some dealers have it, but they need it for old Rolex „repair“. Sometimes I saw complete Chronos with 730, but would it make sense to buy a watch just to change the cases?
    So my case went into the drawer, till years later I found a brand new Wakmann dial, that fitted into my case. It went into the drawer near the case.
    Then, it was in 2005 one guy from California send me an e-mail, saying he´s got an old 730 but not complete. I send him the money, he sent the mvnt. Next step was to find the missing parts.
    Hard job, I tell you. In the end, they came from Swizterland.
    Next, I didn´t like the dial anymore. It had too fat markers, so it went to the dialer. Then I needed a set of hands ! Watchmakers hate to search hands, but a local dealer found a set for me.
    All that stuff I took to a new watchmaker ( the old one had died in between ), and after months he finally called me . > READY <
    I think it was worth it, after all. Because that is what our hobby is all about. Searching and hunting and getting a result one day. (imo). I wich I could show it to the old watchmaker, who always said „You´ll never...“

louis
    Last edited by louis; July 11th, 2006 at 21:16.

stuffler,mike

Re: Never ending story Part I

Excellent story and an excellent Gigandet !

And to think it all started with a NOS case!
    Thanks for the pics and the story, Louis.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Very inspiring.
    So inspiring, in fact that it had me open my old box of tricks to see if I had anything to make a watch with....
    Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by redjackbonney
    Very inspiring.
    So inspiring, in fact that it had me open my old box of tricks to see if I had anything to make a watch with....
    Thanks a lot!
    You got to be VERY patient. I hope that ...Story Part II will be ready after my vacation.

Good Luck !

louis

part II is coming soon.
    louis

Oh, nice one Louis! Can't wait to see the next one.

Thread Information