New arrival - just could not resist the temptations of EBay
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: New arrival - just could not resist the temptations of EBay

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New arrival - just could not resist the temptations of EBay

Been quite quiet of late.... Especially when it comes to buying!

Most of my watches are still in storage as we are trying to save for our first house.... But, on a lunch break last week, I thought I would have a look at some of my 'saved searches' on EBay.... Instantly regretting it as I saw this little 'non runner' for sale as a buy it now.

Certainly not my normal purchase of late, but this is a brand of watch I have always wanted to get my hands on, but have never wanted to buy a Indian re-finished version... Which 99% appear to be. It's a Favre Leuba.

It was not the name that grabbed my attention, but the guarantee card that came with it.

(Pics and post being done on my phone - so please excuse any spelling mistakes).

According to the guarantee, the watch was sold on 16th May 1970 in Bournemouth at W. Wright Ltd, 17 The Arcade. So, appears it has been in the UK for all of its life.

The second thing that attracted me was the unusual case shape. The sellers pics did not really sell the condition, but its better than expected.

The model number as seen on the case back and guarantee is 41703, which when googled brings up only 1 other reference to this case shape - anyone else seen or got one?

As for the running of the watch... The seller 'had inherited it from her grandfather' and the 'watch was working as far as I'm aware, just needs a battery'

The 1187 Favre Leuba (AS 1687) is running pretty well over the last hour (to within 1 second) ... But will need a service.

Don't know much about the movement, but to say it could have been trashed (no pics from the seller), I'm quite happy with the outcome. A light aesthetic clean and a new strap, I think this could look pretty dapper!

I found it a little odd the case was still marked 'waterproof', but guess this could have been made during the 60s, before being sold in the 1970!

Any comments more than welcome!

Marc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    howards4th, Marrick, pr1uk and 4 others like this.
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Re: New arrival - just could not resist the temptations of EBay

Absolutely lovely, what a special case. Obviously when it was sold in May 1970, it must have been produced in 1969 (or even 1968), which explains the 'waterproof'. It somewhat reminds of the Zenith 'turtle' Captain (from the same period), which may have been an inspiration for this. Borrowed photo:
    Name:  ZenithCaptainTurtleAd_zps52550ef2-800.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  82.4 KB
    Vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas, praeter ...

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

I'm always a bit bemused by the whole waterproof thing. It was a US legislation that outlawed it, at least initially - I've not seen a date where it was banned internationally. I suspect that as with many things it wasn't but Swiss case markings were changed because it was the easiest way to ensure that a 'mismarked' case didn't end up in the US market. Certainly I see no issues with a watch being sold into the UK in the early Seventies still being marked as waterproof.

But that is one of the oddest cases I've seen!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sparcster View Post
    Been quite quiet of late.... Especially when it comes to buying!

Most of my watches are still in storage as we are trying to save for our first house.... But, on a lunch break last week, I thought I would have a look at some of my 'saved searches' on EBay.... Instantly regretting it as I saw this little 'non runner' for sale as a buy it now.

Certainly not my normal purchase of late, but this is a brand of watch I have always wanted to get my hands on, but have never wanted to buy a Indian re-finished version... Which 99% appear to be. It's a Favre Leuba.

It was not the name that grabbed my attention, but the guarantee card that came with it.

(Pics and post being done on my phone - so please excuse any spelling mistakes).

According to the guarantee, the watch was sold on 16th May 1970 in Bournemouth at W. Wright Ltd, 17 The Arcade. So, appears it has been in the UK for all of its life.

The second thing that attracted me was the unusual case shape. The sellers pics did not really sell the condition, but its better than expected.

The model number as seen on the case back and guarantee is 41703, which when googled brings up only 1 other reference to this case shape - anyone else seen or got one?

As for the running of the watch... The seller 'had inherited it from her grandfather' and the 'watch was working as far as I'm aware, just needs a battery'

The 1187 Favre Leuba (AS 1687) is running pretty well over the last hour (to within 1 second) ... But will need a service.

Don't know much about the movement, but to say it could have been trashed (no pics from the seller), I'm quite happy with the outcome. A light aesthetic clean and a new strap, I think this could look pretty dapper!

I found it a little odd the case was still marked 'waterproof', but guess this could have been made during the 60s, before being sold in the 1970!

Any comments more than welcome!

Marc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Very nice find. Vintage watches are great, and that one has a unique look and a very attractive movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    I'm always a bit bemused by the whole waterproof thing. It was a US legislation that outlawed it, at least initially - I've not seen a date where it was banned internationally. I suspect that as with many things it wasn't but Swiss case markings were changed because it was the easiest way to ensure that a 'mismarked' case didn't end up in the US market. Certainly I see no issues with a watch being sold into the UK in the early Seventies still being marked as waterproof.

Thanks all... when I said the date/waterproof was a little odd... it should have said a little interesting. I hadn't really considered that it would have been legal to sell 'waterproof' branded watches after the regulation change.

US/Swiss manufactures had started this change by 1969 following changes in the law in 1968 (IIRC). Japan (and Seiko) started to change its new models to 'water resistant' in 1970.

Sepervivens - nice looking Zenith. Certainly some similarities in style (as typical of the period).
    Last edited by Sparcster; December 11th, 2013 at 17:43.
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post

I never knew it was "outlawed"
    I just bought a quite rare American watch dated circa 1928 which was to be the first waterproof, anti magnetic and shockproof watch! It is pretty cool and was used by Byrd (apparently) Antartica expeditions?

We know Rolex had the first 'Oyster' 1926 and Perpetual Oyster 1933. Then Mido with the MultiFort in 1937 which was the first automatic, waterproof, anti magnetic shockproof watch

Will post more on my new aquisition when it arrives.
    A
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; December 11th, 2013 at 17:28.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

I have a couple of Favre Lueba watches and they both run very well used to have 3 but sold one today to a collector of the make but as said the 2 i have are very nice watches that run keep good time and to me a joy to wear. Favre Lueba is a very old Swiss company that jumped into the Indian market and often got put down because of that also there are loads of Bombay specials on the market some not as good as others. To me judging by the ones i own and wear weekly Farve Lueba are a well made durable and reliable watch and cheap to buy.

Bit of interesting info
    in 1969, Favre Leuba (Georges Favre) bought Jaeger LeCoultre and sold in 1978
    Also they produced the first reverso (as they owned the designs then) before JLC did in the 80s

Name:  fl_rev10.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  42.8 KB

Finding one of these would be hard
    Last edited by pr1uk; December 11th, 2013 at 19:59.

Congrats Marc watch is looking good but still cant figure out were the battery goes lol makes me laugh when you see that on listings. Good luck with finding your first house.

Thanks pr1uk,

I own a couple of earlier Favre's, a 1920s with Zenith movement and a 30ish Sandow in swing case.

When I started collecting, I was initial interested in 60s/70s era watches.... with the 'bombay' Favre's only coming up I never took the plunge. So im happy to finally take a closer look at this era of Favre.

Cheers Joe... I think finding watches I like will be a lot easier than finding a House!

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by Sparcster View Post
    Thanks pr1uk,

I own a couple of earlier Favre's, a 1920s with Zenith movement and a 30ish Sandow in swing case.

Wow i am always looking for a Farve not from Bombay (or whatever it's called now) love to see a photo of your 1020s and the swing case they fetch good money now

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information