New Arrival! 'Limit' Pocket watch 1941
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Noam the Newt

Thread: New Arrival! 'Limit' Pocket watch 1941

Gift New Arrival! 'Limit' Pocket watch 1941

Hi all - just got a nice package in the post today: this vintage 1941 'Limit' pocket watch. It is interesting as it came with the original case (as far as I'm aware), which has the brand 'Smiths' appended inside. Got the watch running, seems to be smooth and accurate so far, but is really loud. Additionally, a really interesting engraving on the case back, nice for adding to provenance, but no relation to me whatsoever.

Does anyone have any information on this kind of pocket watch? Was 'Limit' a sub-brand of 'Smiths' or 'Smiths Empire' which was a GB company?

I'm lucky to own another piece made by 'Limit,' and both are signed Swiss, which seems to go against the possibility of it being a British watch? Or does this mean that the movement is likely to be Swiss and the case/dial British?

Cheers for the time and efforts.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  471.2 KB
Views: 1010
Size:  728.6 KB
Views: 988
Size:  586.3 KB
    howards4th likes this.

Re: New Arrival! 'Limit' Pocket watch 1941

Very nice.

From limit's website:

The Limit brand was established in 1912. The very first watches were constructed in Switzerland. At that time the UK headquarters were based in Oldham, Greater Manchester.

In 1963 following a very successful 50 years trading Time Products (UK) Ltd purchased the Limit brand. The operation remained in Oldham for a further 39 years.

Today Limit is based in the Time Products (UK) Ltd volume division headquarters in Leicester.

Our watches are now made in the Far East using Japanese Quartz precision movements to ensure total reliability and accuracy.

So in essence it was a British brand importing Swiss watches for sale in the UK. When they switched to the Far East their watches were labelled 'Limit International'.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Very cool and striking. That zipper case is also very cool.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Interesting... I just checked the webpage also, and it's sad because it essentially illustrates the death of a brand. When you click on 'Gents/Ladies Collections,' nothing seems to happen. Thanks for the info.

Its a very, very nice piece.
    I love the engraving on the back.
    are you sure the case is original. It turns a pocket watch into a bed side travel clock - very popular, but looks very new/clean

Bournemouth is famous for its Parks, see here.
    Bournemouth's Parks

He was probably head gardiner - a bit of research would find him

Nice buy
    Adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Limit was the trade name adopted by the Hirst Brothers in 1912. The company used Revue Thommen movements with final assembly in their premises in Oldham, Lancashire. As well as dials in their own trade name they supplied the wholesale market with the retailer's name / location and (sometimes) 'Limit' on the dial. Models were designated 'Limit', Limit No.2, Limit No.2N - I suspect this was progression over time rather than quality of movement. I have one 'Limit International' with a Unitas movement.

I have seen movements with jewel counts of 7 & 15 stamped on them, and quite a few that have no jewel count on the dial or movement.

There are fascinating links between the nineteenth century textile boom in Oldham, the rise of Hirst Brothers as jewellers/watchmakers/optical instrument makers and, finally, the rise of VW from the ashes of WWII.

I wont go into more detail. Happy Googleing.

Rowley.
    Last edited by Rowley; June 30th, 2013 at 16:06. Reason: typo on jewel count

Very nice piece, I too like the zipper case.

Quote Originally Posted by Noam the Newt View Post
    Interesting... I just checked the webpage also, and it's sad because it essentially illustrates the death of a brand. When you click on 'Gents/Ladies Collections,' nothing seems to happen. Thanks for the info.
    Its working fine for me: Limit Watches - Mens collection

Perhaps a gremlin in their server.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Thread Information