New arrival - Roamer Alarm
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By trim

Thread: New arrival - Roamer Alarm

New arrival - Roamer Alarm

I have been camping out by the mail box (well, not really) waiting for this one.

Looks a little JLC memvox imo. Shame about the little scratch, as otherwise the dial is perfect. These are uncommon enough that you take what you can get - you don't get the chance to be fussy. Doesn't detract when wearing it anyway, you really have to look for it.

Hands could do with a little TLC. The lume is behaving badly.

Sold as not working. Minor tweek once it arrived and all systems are go - shows a good trace on the timing machine now, so no need to service.

I fitted a nice NOS vintage camel strap and new crystal.

Wristy.

It is quite sophisticated, with a single winding and setting crown for all alarm and time functions. The single pusher is to cancel the alarm. When winding, the alarm is wound when the crown is rotated clockwise, and the mainspring is wound when rotating anti-clockwise. The alarm sets when the alarm spring is wound. The second position on the stem adjusts the alarm pointer, and the third position sets the hands. The winding mechanism features a rocker as in the Vulcain cricket that alternating barrels, depending on the direction of the winder.

Someone has mangled the adjustable stud holder! Perhaps from putting the back on in the wrong place (alarm pin). Still working fine, but fortunately I (now) have spares and will replace it. This is the MST 427 calibre.

It joins this one from 1953, which is being restored (posted here) for which I have found a completely appropriate and ultra rare MST417 movement - so the hammer issue is no more.

I wonder if there is anyone else in the world with both versions - these are uncommon maybe 1 or 2 a year on the 'bay and the 417 is - well, rare. I have yet to see one for sale.

It has been a good day. I can't really believe I have managed to find both.
    Last edited by trim; October 25th, 2011 at 04:48.
    joeuk and Paleotime like this.

Re: New arrival - Roamer Alarm

Well done - once again! It is a beautiful design, very JLC as you say. Congatulations Kris.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Very nice indeed...

Condition looks great! Im intrigued to know how many Roamers you are still looking for....

Congrats,

Marc
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Congratulations! That is very nice.

I recognise that background, did you find your own copy?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparcster View Post
    Very nice indeed...

Condition looks great! Im intrigued to know how many Roamers you are still looking for....

Congrats,

Marc
    Thanks.

I still have holes in my collection, but I admit that this is one of the last of the major ones that I really needed. I would like more early examples, I have a pocket watch (my first Roamer PW) on the way, and I am still looking for 2 models from the 1970s (one of which will be too expensive). I am still buying others, trying to improve the quality of some of the examples I have, but yes - the end is in sight would you believe it.
    Last edited by trim; October 25th, 2011 at 10:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    Congratulations! That is very nice.

I recognise that background, did you find your own copy?
    No, its your book . I assembled into book form and printed it. I prefer things on paper.

Another great looking roamer and added bonus of an alarm.

Excellent grab...Looks great on the wrist and the strap is a really nice choice.

yes - the end is in sight would you believe it.
    No - I don't think any of us believe the end is in sight..

Quote Originally Posted by Paleotime View Post
    No - I don't think any of us believe the end is in sight..
    Humm, yes. I admit, I am as bad at giving up buying watches as Sparcster.

But it is true that I have the majority of the Roamers I am looking for. Barring 'surprises' turning up - and hunting for better versions of ones I already own, I have largely done what I aimed to do, that is - build a representative sample over the life of the company. I am not saying there will be no more , just that the initial collection is now, more-or-less, built. I know for collectors, nothing is ever finished, but things are just entering a different and more stable phase of collecting (for Roamer).

I have more than are currently on my website, but I am very slow at getting through restoring them.

I am going to shift my focus more to watchmaking rather than active acquisition for a while. Something I have been saying for a while, but I am swamped with projects, so buying many more is beyond irresponsible.

BTW - after 3 days, +22 seconds. Nice

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    Humm, yes. I admit, I am as bad at giving up buying watches as Sparcster.

Not sure that is possible... cheeky monkey!

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    I am going to shift my focus more to watchmaking rather than active acquisition for a while. Something I have been saying for a while, but I am swamped with projects, so buying many more is beyond irresponsible.
    Im also sure I said something similar recently.... which for me resulted in being seriously irresponsible!!!
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Thread Information