New Arrival - UG Polerouter......
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: New Arrival - UG Polerouter......

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

New Arrival - UG Polerouter......

Hi Guys,

Well another grail arrived today.... 10 mins ago!

Thought I would take a quick pic at work and post it. I had some concerns over the dial... so its been a long wait! Think its right? There seems to be some age related spots... and there is remnants of old lume spots on the hours.... still... I could not find this dial type - with this text arrangement!

Thoughts welcome?

More pics to follow when I get home!

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/z...r/P9270004.jpg

Marc
    Last edited by Sparcster; September 27th, 2011 at 12:59. Reason: image would not link from Photobucket!
    Renoldi and DragonDan like this.
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Re: New Arrival - UG Polerouter......

Well I can't find that print arrangement with the Polerouter Deluxe in the bottom half of the dial either. But it looks right and well balanced to me. And there were MANY varieties of Polerouter as you know. I think it looks great.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrick View Post
    Well I can't find that print arrangement with the Polerouter Deluxe in the bottom half of the dial either. But it looks right and well balanced to me. And there were MANY varieties of Polerouter as you know. I think it looks great.
    Cheers Steve... as you know... was a slight concern of mine.... But im very happy with it....

Had a quick look at the movement.... generally very clean! some grime/wear to the case edge - but think this is down to the sprung ring that sits on the inside, which is a bit dirty/rusty... which I have seen many times before! there is a bit of wear to the rotor... but I dont think I have seen many that dont! But again, as you know, there were no movement pics.... so Im very relieved to see it looking in good shape, with no mangled screw heads... etc!

Marc
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Aha....very nice

I don't know enough about these to know whether the dial is "right" or not re script etc, but it looks fine to me, so think you've done well there

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMonkey View Post
    Aha....very nice

I don't know enough about these to know whether the dial is "right" or not re script etc, but it looks fine to me, so think you've done well there
    Cheers John!

compared the watch to many on the 'polerouter' site... and the case, dial design hands etc all seem to tie in.... as does the text... its just the location on the dial!

Looking at the time line.... it dates from 1955-60!

Polerouter - model timeline

the deign seems to be a mix between these 3! the later showing the slightly lower down 'Universal Geneve'.... maybe some will see it and say... I have one like that... OR sorry mate... redial! Either way... I like it...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Add some more pics....

As i say above.. there is some wear to the case inside and the rotor.... but this was the risk when buying... no movement pics!
    The UG Bumper I have seems to have the same 'issue' with the case!

It has a 28 jewel 215 in house movement... looking at Rolands site... this seems to fit in with the date line above of 1955-65!

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Universal 215

Also changed the strap... so here are some wrist shots!

still have a few doubts... but its a nice looking watch!!

Marc
    Renoldi, dougcee and Reno like this.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Sparcster, this is a nice looking watch as you say and if you're happy
    then that's the main thing, but this watch is a Mumbai Special, the seller would know this and you will
    come to realise this too.
    Nevertheless it is a Universal Geneve with microtor movement and it looks the part.
    Nice one.

Hi Marc,

Quote Originally Posted by Sparcster View Post
    still have a few doubts...
    Me too. But not due to the strange arrangement of the signatures, since the fonts appear correct, and many arrangements are met on polerouters. But there are other reasons to suspect an earlier redial:

1) The case and the movement show serious corrosion, and as the UG dials were pretty sensitive, the dial with the same (wet) history like case and movement should be almost unreadable.

2) The distance between minute scale and hour chapter is big. On all samples I've seen either the minute scale touchs the hour ring or at least is rather narrow to it. Samples to verify this are presented on this page:
    Polerouter - collection

3) The accent over the È in GENÈVE is missing, and I guess this would not happen to UG.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Last edited by Roland Ranfft; September 27th, 2011 at 22:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Ranfft View Post
    Hi Marc,

Me too. But not due to the strange arrangement of the signatures, since the fonts appear correct, and many arrangements are met on polerouters. But there are other reasons to suspect an earlier redial:

1) The case and the movement show serious corrosion, and as the UG dials were pretty sensitive, the dial with the same (wet) history like case and movement should be almost unreadable.

2) The distance between minute scale and hour chapter is big. On all samples I've seen either the minute scale touchs the hour ring or at least is rather narrow to it. Samples to verify this are presented on this page:
    Polerouter - collection

3) The accent over the È in GENÈVE is missing, and I guess this would not happen to UG.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Good points Roland,
    I feel bad dicussing the 'downsides' of sparcsters watch since it's his grail and wish
    I'd been discussing the merits instead.

I thought that the deluxe version of the polerouter was in a solid gold case, I have
    saw an example of a dial with deluxe in a S.S case but this was probably a replacement.

The case and bezel would seem to be polished but the pitting around the seal can't be polished out
    and is a giveaway as is the gilt plate loss to the rotor.

A quick look up on ebay finds this watch in the completed listings and the seller claims
    'he would never open the case back as some 'hacks' would' but a check of his buying
    feedback shows he bought a lot of watches, then a book on DIY watch repairing for the hobbyist
    some cheap screwdrivers etc and he claims he would never open a caseback as 'some hacks would'...hmmmmm.

Sparcster, I'd say this seller knew what he was selling you and denied you a look at the movement so's you could
    make an informed opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by radger View Post
    Sparcster, this is a nice looking watch as you say and if you're happy
    then that's the main thing, but this watch is a Mumbai Special, the seller would know this and you will
    come to realise this too.
    Nevertheless it is a Universal Geneve with microtor movement and it looks the part.
    Nice one.
    Hi Radger... Coming home from work and taking a proper look... I did have a bit of a sinking feeling! Im unsure if this was really the polerouter I was after!

Will have to give it some thought... will I be keeping it long term... I dont know!

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Ranfft View Post
    Hi Marc,

Polerouter - collection

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Hi Roland,

Point 1... if I compare it to the UG bumper I have... from a similar period... The dial on that has been sent for redialing! other than the wear on the rotor... the movement does not look in that bad a shape (IMO).. but the case edge certainly does

2. I Also saw this... the remains of the lume spots on the outer edge may have been original... but the markers (which originally) would have been on between these, look like they have been set in - as you say!

3. I had not spotted that... which as you say... may be biggest pointer to redial!

Thanks Radger/Roland for the comments... after taking the close up pics... I was expecting the worse... so thanks for your honesty!

Marc

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information