WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

New (back again) to the Forum

626 views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  jackruff 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I joined Watchuseek in 2011, soon after catching the "watch bug". I have always admired the design, precision, and beauty of mechanical watches. I also really appreciated the fact that watches that are over 200 years old are still running.

Soon after that, I developed health issues, Depression and PTSD, and have just recently recovered enough to once again feel motivated to "get back into watches"

My initial enthusiasm led to a rather unfocussed approach. I bought many watches based upon their look, lower price (sometimes), or my attraction to their design. The result is that there is no focus to my collection. I am seeking advice from you all. I think I should narrow my interest and focus to one or two eras, types, etc. This will allow me to concentrate on a manageable subject area.

I do like vintage watches, having English Sterling Pocket Watches from 1809 (a Verge Fusee by James McCabe) and later, to early 19hC wristwatches through to the 1970's, and some modern daily-wear watches. I have several Omegas and many lesser-known makers watches. I do like them, and did wear them to work when I was still working. Almost all of them work, and I had/have dreams of learning to work on them to the point that I can do some maintenance/repair, as many of you on this forum do.

I will be looking to you all for advice and opinions. Please be patient. I may be retiring early, and want to pursue this as a hobby once that happens.

I am glad to have this forum, with its access to all the expertise here from forum members. Any and all advice is welcomed. You cannot insult me as I know little, and am willing to learn, study, do whatever is suggested. I have a couple of working pocket watches that I want to dissect and re-asemble waiting for me.

Any and all advice welcomed!

Thanks for being here,
Chris M

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome back Chris.

Actually there are only a lucky few percentage of members here who can service their watches, most of us are enthusiasts like you.I am comfortable with case-cleaning, removing stem, movement and dial to check the maker of the movement and change hands. That's all.

This journey of collecting is a learning progress and discovering our preferences within years which shapes our collections. You can have diversified era timepieces or vertical developed collection, it's all for our joy at the end.

I am sure you have favorites within your timepieces;you may want to start from there: Why you like those ones ?

And,good old WUS didn't change much, we still love pictures here :-!

#11 ·
Welcome back Chris.

Actually there are only a lucky few percentage of members here who can service their watches, most of us are enthusiasts like you.I am comfortable with case-cleaning, removing stem, movement and dial to check the maker of the movement and change hands. That's all.

This journey of collecting is a learning progress and discovering our preferences within years which shapes our collections. You can have diversified era timepieces or vertical developed collection, it's all for our joy at the end.

I am sure you have favorites within your timepieces;you may want to start from there: Why you like those ones ?

And,good old WUS didn't change much, we still love pictures here :-!
Maybe change a mainspring and that´s it indeed haha.

On your 'focus' part.

It is all fun and games to start with focus but in the end it goes all over the place:
I started with 60s/70s divers. Then came some chronographs from that era and now I am just smitten and buy chronographs from the 40s to the 70s.
Focus

Buy what you like and what you would wear. I learned it the hard way. I have gone through A LOT off watches that other collectors told me "I had To have." But I just didn´t fall in love with them.
I am off the type that wears all his watches. No case-queens for me. They might not be as "collectable" as others but I need to click with a watch.

#3 ·
Good to have you back Chris and glad to hear that your health is improved.

I suspect many of us suffer from their being far too many interesting watches out there. Even though I've culled back my purchasing habit, I'm still behind on curating them - as I type this I'm taking a break from entering some watches into my database, and I've still more to do. And earlier I found a couple of centre seconds nurses movements that I'd tucked away for a rainy day.

I've come to the conclusion that I need a far better system for organising all of this - so fear not, all but the most disciplined of us branch out. And frankly its how you learn, at least what you like if nothing else.

Looking forward to seeing what you've diversified into. I'm always looking to find people who've developed expertise in obscure fields as they are so much needed by the rest of us!

#4 ·
Hey Chris

Glad to see you back On WUS again (although I came along after you, so you are new to me) and really glad to hear that you've powered though some big stuff. Congratulations.

Like Emre, i have no watchmaking skills to speak of, but I can recommend a couple of books to flip through. There are quite a few out there, but I've recently bought The Watch Repairer's Manual Paperback by Henry B. Fried (Author), easily available online. Of all the ones I've bought, i'd say it's the most comprehensive. Easy to read, well-illustrated, it's on the top of my pile of books on mechanics. There are others, but this just seems to have that extra little bit of detail without too much of the wrong kind of detail.

I agree that one needs to have a focus. There's an interesting thread here by fellow member Sdasurrey that chronicles his course through initial interest to his current collection. You'll recognise some of what we've all done; he's now quite focussed and has some truly fantastic watches.

Best wishes!

#6 ·
Welcome back...looking forward to seeing your collection.

I am one of those here that does (most) of my own service and repairs. You can see something of the process here:https://www.watchuseek.com/f11/fun-my-$14-president-1528481.html and https://www.watchuseek.com/f11/repair-service-1930-bulova-president-1445578.html.

My advice on learning how to service watches is to go slow, take lots of pictures as you take the first movements apart. Like most mechanics (but even more so) - nothing in a watch needs to be forced together, so when something isn't going it is a warning sign.

Three other points...1) there is no such thing as too clean...2) Get good quality tweezers, screwdrivers and loupes - buy used good brands over new cheap brands (if money is a factor)...3) Hairsprings are diabolical - they will make you scream in frustration, and pull on your own hair...but you can learn to handle (and even repair) them.

The book mentioned above is good...You can find the military watch repair manual online for free (sorry I don't have a link) and it is worth having. The same is true with the Chicago School of Watchmaking and (i think) the Bulova Watchmaking school manual. Free books are good.

Have fun and show us what you find (and maybe what you have already)...

#7 ·
Hello!

The watchmaking forum here on WUS has lots of great threads and one, imho could learn most of the basics needed from just reading old threads there. Look through the book list too. A few that are must haves to learn on your own (what I did... mostly) are Fried's book, the Chicago School (get the dead-trees version) and DeCarle's two books. I reference them often.

Glad you are back and hope you continue to do better every day. Don't know your background, but you are not alone. PM if you ever need a sympathetic ear to pull on.

Reactions: hyperhad
#9 ·
I have two books, and the Military Repair Manual saved to my computer. I do want to try doing this. I am guessing that some parts that will be difficult to locate. I imagine there are forum members who might be good sources for some parts?

This is all exciting. Taking pictures is a good idea. My first step is to learn the names and functions of all the parts of a typical watch...

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.