"New" Britix Military- A little help would be appreciated
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: "New" Britix Military- A little help would be appreciated

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

"New" Britix Military- A little help would be appreciated

Hi guys,

I just got this Britix watch from a trade I made. Supposedly, Britix was a junior company of Breilting and I know much info isn't available about the company online. Even so, I was hoping you guys could help me with some info on the brand, and maybe even this particular watch.From what I've gathered from the trade, it's a military infantry watch from the 40s-50s. It's in real good condition and it keeps good time, but it's a little too small for my wrist. I will have to decide if I'm going to keep it or not, but until than it would be really helpful if I could get some info on it.
    Any thoughts?
    Name:  IMG_20150213_141110.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  879.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_20150213_141148.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  1.61 MB
    bobbee likes this.

Re: "New" Britix Military- A little help would be appreciated

I found this quoted here Forum Horloger, forum sur les montres • Britix - Qualité et réputation?

Details of the Britix watch company are scarce. The internet rumour-mill places them as a subsidiary of Breitling, but this is hard to confirm as extinct brands are often linked to existing successful names spuriously, in order to help the older watch’s sales prospects.
    What we do know is that Britix were founded around 1932 and were originally from La Chaux-de-Fonds although by 1945 they had a factory in Lengnau. Later the company became ‘Apex-Britix’ and manufactured watches under the names; Accurist, Festal, Naxe, Augusta and Aventica as well as their own.
    In their declining years they became a brand name of Jaquet & Girard of Biel.
    Suffice it to say that if they were an entry-level partner of Breitling, then this relationship reflected well on them. Vintage examples of chronographs, rattrapantes, triple-date moon phases and triple-date chronographs can all be found.

There are one or two other Britix watches which have been posted in here - try the search function - but it seems little is really known. I would guess that yours is from the late 1960's and looks very good.
    sergione likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sergione View Post
    From what I've gathered from the trade, it's a military infantry watch from the 40s-50s.
    Hi,

Its a nice little watch you have there.... Other than the styling, I dont see what connection this has with the military? I would also guess (like Marrick) that this is later, solely because of the use of 'water resistant' over waterproof...

Marc

-Edit - with regard to my comment about the date relating to the use of 'water resistant', see below
    Last edited by Sparcster; February 16th, 2015 at 09:32.
    sergione likes this.
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

In my experience the term water resistant was used quite early on and not just later.

Late forties automatic. Will be interesting to see which auto. And as commented there is nothing military about this watch at all. The style was fashionable at that point because of the war but that is as far as it goes.

Nice watch. I doubt it was worn by a soldier however as military personnel do have a love of marking their service number onto anything they own.
    redcow likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    In my experience the term water resistant was used quite early on and not just later.

Late forties automatic. Will be interesting to see which auto. And as commented there is nothing military about this watch at all. The style was fashionable at that point because of the war but that is as far as it goes.

Nice watch. I doubt it was worn by a soldier however as military personnel do have a love of marking their service number onto anything they own.
    I do own a few 60s watches and they look nothing like this one. that's one reason why I thought it'd be older. Might not be military, but I don't mind. It's funny though that we know very little about this brand. Thanks a lot for sharing.

Good to know!
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

And as a case in point eBay item 271775999909 is a contemporary Roamer model. I'm sure I've seen it on Morf cases too.

And the very next listing that I look at has two water resistant marked cases, one of which is a Morf case so little room for doubting the date. Item. 281599473215

And the very next listing that I look at has two water resistant marked cases, one of which is a Morf case so little room for doubting the date. Item. 281599473215
    Interesting finds. I always thought anything labaeled water resistant had to be from the '60,at the earliest.I don't think I;ll actually be testing its watter resistance though.

Quote Originally Posted by sergione View Post
    Interesting finds. I always thought anything labaeled water resistant had to be from the '60,at the earliest.I don't think I;ll actually be testing its watter resistance though.
    I wouldn't either!

Still, my suspicion is that water resistant was still mostly a U.S. Market marking even in the 1940's.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information