New Ebay scam
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New Ebay scam

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

New Ebay scam

If you are selling on Ebay, you should be aware of this new scam.

Thinking of selling on eBay with Paypal? Think again! - CodeNerdz
    RiceWatch likes this.

Re: New Ebay scam

Ain't that the berries!

To get a PO Box the USPS verifies a physical address for the recipient... so, at least, you know where they live!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

There's nothing particularily "new" about this scam, and unfortunately it works on both sides. If you say you shipped item X, and the person who receives says they didn't receive item X, who do you believe? The main problem here is actually the credit card company, because once they "accept" the chargeback, Paypal's hands are somewhat tied; the money leaves their system.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for sharing, i took the liberty of sharing your story to the Russian watches forum as well (BE VERY CAREFUL!!!)
    , thanks again!

This might indeed be a murky area. The buyer filed a chargeback and therefore PayPal became a powerless mediator for the three parties. Had the buyer filed a claim with PayPal, I believe it would have been resolved differently. For one, PayPal would have required the phone be returned to the seller. Then a refund is issued to the buyer.

The bank has no authority to say the phone must be returned to the seller, while PayPal is a powerless mediator because the complaint was not filed with them.

There's obviously a big problem here which this buyer is taking advantage of. Time for a fix.
    "Can we bless or at least not curse whatever struggles to stay alive on this planet of struggles?"

"To live and to die in gratefulness if in no other virtue."

-Galway Kinnell

The Paypal protection is completely unfair : the buyers always win ! Paypal only wants the buyer to be happy...
    I sometimes sell nice pocket watches on ebay, and I always lose the Paypal disputes...
    The last time, I lost $ 4800 because of an unscrupulous buyer !! It's not a little amount... And if you don't accept paypal, nobody wants to buy...
    It's a big problem.

If you love pocket watches : http://www.pocketwatchesforum.com

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

I can't speak for ebay outside of the UK, but generally speaking you are forced to accept Paypal, even if you don't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Pianist View Post
    The Paypal protection is completely unfair : the buyers always win ! Paypal only wants the buyer to be happy...
    I sometimes sell nice pocket watches on ebay, and I always lose the Paypal disputes...
    The last time, I lost $ 4800 because of an unscrupulous buyer !! It's not a little amount... And if you don't accept paypal, nobody wants to buy...
    It's a big problem.
    Here's the garden variety usual scam on Ebay: buyer buys from Ebay auction a new pair of Timberland boots. He gets them, says he walked in them across the room, and they fell apart. The game is to be refunded for the boots and not have to send them back, as in "why would the seller want them back.?" You as seller push hard to get the boots back to you. That confounds the scam, they back-off, they lose.
    "Can we bless or at least not curse whatever struggles to stay alive on this planet of struggles?"

"To live and to die in gratefulness if in no other virtue."

-Galway Kinnell

Well, no. If you read the notes after the blog entry, you'll find that the situation was actually resolved. The key is not to rely on vague "guarantees" by just ebay or the paypal. Filing a police report, for instance. It takes time and effort to resolve these things; time and effort that many people won't bother to spend. That's what the scammer truly counts on. People let themselves get backed into a corner and fail to take appropriate action until its too late, because they somehow expect an immediate resolution based on their self-righteous protestations of having been wronged. They don't realize that the scammer is also claiming to have been wronged, and is probably better able to demonstrate that because they've planned for it and have had practice.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Nice heads up.
    If it was me, I'd personally fly to the address and have a "chat" with the scammer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information