New guy need some help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ltblue

Thread: New guy need some help

New guy need some help

Hey guys I'm new to watches/pocket watches, but I want to get my brother and sister-in-law a new pocket watch for their wedding. I was looking around on the internet and saw some really nice ones. Some of the ones I was looking at were (Brands) Miesterwerk, Bernex, and Woodford. I really like some of their designs or lack of design if you want to call it that. Want one that is very simple(plain case no etchings) and elegant(Roman Numerals) for example. I have about $1000 to spend and would perfer Sterling Silver. My problem is that I don't know if these brands are good or where to buy them for that matter. I just don't want to buy one and then it turns out to be a fake :( can you guys help me out and tell me if any of these brands are good and if these sites are legit? Thanks.

Greenwichpocketwatch
    pocketwatchsite
    sterlingengraved

Re: New guy need some help

Hi,
    I'm not really an expert in pocketwatches but these brands on the sites seems to me as no-name category except a few names that are probably revived recently,please correct me if I'm wrong...I could suggest you Tissot pocket watches for your budget, I bought one for a similar occassion and they are really nice...whatever you take,don't buy a quartz pocketwatch:)

Quote Originally Posted by Ltblue View Post
    Hey guys I'm new to watches/pocket watches, but I want to get my brother and sister-in-law a new pocket watch for their wedding. I was looking around on the internet and saw some really nice ones. Some of the ones I was looking at were (Brands) Miesterwerk, Bernex, and Woodford. I really like some of their designs or lack of design if you want to call it that. Want one that is very simple(plain case no etchings) and elegant(Roman Numerals) for example. I have about $1000 to spend and would perfer Sterling Silver. My problem is that I don't know if these brands are good or where to buy them for that matter. I just don't want to buy one and then it turns out to be a fake :( can you guys help me out and tell me if any of these brands are good and if these sites are legit? Thanks.

Greenwichpocketwatch
    pocketwatchsite
    sterlingengraved

Collectors generally prefer mechanical watches. Non-collectors generally prefer quartz. Non-collectors generally don't hang out here

In that price range you should be able to get a nice watch. Most of the Swiss watches will use the same movement (mechanism inside) and will differ in the cases. Tissot does make some nice ones. I am sure others will have more suggestions.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Collectors generally prefer mechanical watches. Non-collectors generally prefer quartz. Non-collectors generally don't hang out here

In that price range you should be able to get a nice watch. Most of the Swiss watches will use the same movement (mechanism inside) and will differ in the cases. Tissot does make some nice ones. I am sure others will have more suggestions.
    Thanks also for your time in replying. Even though I am not a collector, I do find the mechanical ones to be true work of art. I mean just look at it, it's so nice.. I will definitely look into Tissot brand and can't wait to get more suggestion from you experts. Who knows, I might start getting a few for myself and be hanging around here in the future :p thanks again all!

Quote Originally Posted by saxoo View Post
    Hi,
    I'm not really an expert in pocketwatches but these brands on the sites seems to me as no-name category except a few names that are probably revived recently,please correct me if I'm wrong...I could suggest you Tissot pocket watches for your budget, I bought one for a similar occassion and they are really nice...whatever you take,don't buy a quartz pocketwatch:)
    Thanks so much in taking your time to reply. Even if you aren't a expert on PWs, your opinion means a great deal to me.
    I will definitely be looking into the Tissot brand and will be getting a mechanical. Even if you didn't tell me to get a mechanical I was going to get it. I just think quartz's should be on wrist watches, etc. Anyways, thanks again.:)

ps. I had to write this again even though this was the first one I reply back to.. Forgot to multi quote :(

Quote Originally Posted by Ltblue View Post
    Thanks so much in taking your time to reply. Even if you aren't a expert on PWs, your opinion means a great deal to me.
    I will definitely be looking into the Tissot brand and will be getting a mechanical. Even if you didn't tell me to get a mechanical I was going to get it. I just think quartz's should be on wrist watches, etc. Anyways, thanks again.:)

ps. I had to write this again even though this was the first one I reply back to.. Forgot to multi quote :(
    You're welcome:) and once you decided for a PW,don't forget to post a pic here;)

Quote Originally Posted by saxoo View Post
    You're welcome:) and once you decided for a PW,don't forget to post a pic here;)
    I finally found one that I think they will like.. It is a Tissot Savonnette mechanical, 17 jewels, .950 sterling silver pocket watch. Again thanks for the help and here is a pic of it :)
    Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 62
Size:  265.6 KB
    bobbee likes this.

Thread Information