New guy who wants your opinions
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: New guy who wants your opinions

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New guy who wants your opinions

Hello everyone first let me say this site is really great. It definitely has something for everyone! I've started to get more into vintage watches and want to build a nice selection to wear, basically 1930-60s with maybe a few 70s era ones. I know this is a pretty broad question but do you think if I stay with the name brands like Waltham,Lord Elgin,Longines,Bulova,Gruen they should give good reliable service, if kept properly serviced? I guess I'm curious to know what lemons you guys think they made back then to stay away from ? Thanks Mike

Re: New guy who wants your opinions

The brands you named are all respectable and produced good quality watches. They also have enough variety among them that your choice of styles and designs is huge. If properly maintained they should be fine for daily wear. Good luck!
    Bodyblue likes this.
    --Charlie

-Citizen -Seiko -Heuer -Steinhart -Bulova -TagHeuer

Thanks for the reply. I sold my Rolex ( yes I guess I was nuts) but must admit I think if I've seen one Oyster or any brand dive watches I've seen them all. I'm sure I opened a hornets nest with that opinion! But the vintage ones really appeal to me and also there so unique , you just don't see them everyday. Thanks again Mike
    Bodyblue likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hello and welcome...I stick mainly to Bulova and Elgin watches myself and I find them to be great collecting focus. Just like any brand, it pays to know your stuff. Looking forward to seeing what you find.
    Bodyblue likes this.

The key question is: why are you doing this? OK, that's a bit of a joke...but if you you are looking to have some lovely watches to keep and enjoy, then the brands you mention are a good place to start. But if you want to make a profit, well, that's another more complicated question. Let's not go there just now.
    I personally would add a couple of other brands such as Enicar, Eterna, Mido and Hamilton. I would avoid brands such as Girard Perregaux, Fortis and to a degree, Omega - with these brands, there's a lot of particularly questionable stuff out there and wait until you can tell the good stuff from the rubbish. Worth looking at, for sure, but with a slightly experienced eye, I think. If in doubt ask here, someone can give you a steer.
    Oh, and welcome!

Thank you for the input and your right I need to read up for sure. I have no intention to sell my watches I just enjoy them quite a bit. I only sold my Rolex when I started thinking what I could get out of it. It was the only high end watch I had. I've picked up a couple of Longines and I enjoy them as much as I did the Rolex

1. Don't forget about Omega & Zenith. Repairable, reliable, etc.

2. After you collect a good selection of watches, you will want some "non plus ultra" piece, so keep you eyes on Rolex, Vacheron etc.
    (I finally came to original A.L.Breguets =)

3. If you concern about reliability - it is better to grow your knowledge about movement calibres. Some movements are robust, easy to repair, well supplied with parts. Some are not.
    For example, any watch with AS 1130 will be in all ways reliable, no matter how it's branded.
    busmatt likes this.
    Watchmaking underground
    German Polosin

Banned

Elgin was the GM of the watch business in the US for the first half of the 20th century. They made good, solid reliable watches that were mid priced for the most part. Hamilton and Bulova were a higher higher in price but Lord and Lady Elgin competed with them. Waltham and Gruen were also solid watches. Gruen Veri-Thins are VERY collectable. America had a thriving watch industry in the first part of the last century that was all but gone by 1980. Now the only American name that is still a real watch company is Bulova...when you see Gruen, Elgin etc, they are just names an Asian company purchased. Bulova was recently purchased by Citizen but still is based in the US. And of course Timex, formed in the early 50s and almost dead several times since, is still alive.

IMO the name of the older watch is not a nearly as important as condition. If it looks nice, is clean inside and out and runs and keeps time and you can afford it, buy it!
    busmatt and jackruff like this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 1Ljutic View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I sold my Rolex ( yes I guess I was nuts) but must admit I think if I've seen one Oyster or any brand dive watches I've seen them all. I'm sure I opened a hornets nest with that opinion! But the vintage ones really appeal to me and also there so unique , you just don't see them everyday. Thanks again Mike
    Dont worry, there are many of us that feel the same way! Frisbee sized garish monsters make me cringe as well......but taste is subjective!
    Paleotime and busmatt like this.

Thanks that was a big help. I always wondered what the pecking order was on these companies. While looking at condition what do you think about the face of a watch? Obviously I want a nice face but on some of these 30s era ones you see some light fading or age spots. Do you feel its more a killer on a purchase? Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information