New Helvetia Watches Site
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: New Helvetia Watches Site

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Helvetia Watches Site

Hello all.

For years I have had an interest in Helvetia Watch Company watches. There is not a lot about the company on the web and as the years have progressed I've gathered more and more information.

I eventually decided to share what I have learned with other Helvetia fans and decided to build a site. After taking much longer than I though I have finally finished!

I have pages on the History of Helvetia watches, their 1930s sports and pilots models, serial numbers, movements etc.

It will take a few days for Google to find it but in the mean time you can get to it directly from the link below. I hope some members find it useful.

http://www.helvetiahistory.co.uk

Please have a look. Any feedback gratefully received.

Thanks. Carl.

Re: New Helvetia Watches Site

Great job, Carl, and thanks!

All the important info in one place, useful and suitable for use; I will bookmark the page now.

Regards,
    Last edited by SunnyOrange; November 16th, 2018 at 19:28.
    -- Mimi --

Hello, very good and interesting website ! This is what every collector should do, make a comprehensive website like this... I wish I had the time and courage to do it myself... Maybe one day, who knows...

I've been reading your website with a lot of interest and now I have some questions for you :

- About "sport" watches, you mention a new "gland" case, could you give further details ? Why is it called "gland" ? How does it works ?
    - I noticed that some 81 calibres sometimes had an overcoiled hairspring, do I see right ? It also seems no movement made after 1940 has this feature...
    - You do not show your DIH and post-war dress watches movements, that's a shame, I love it when you can see dials and movements side by side ;)
    - It also seems you mainly have watches from 1930 to 1950, or do you intend to add earlier and later models in the future ?

Anyway, congratulations for your website, I really hope to see more and more informative sites about lesser known brands like this one flourish.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 707mm2 View Post
    Hello, very good and interesting website ! This is what every collector should do, make a comprehensive website like this... I wish I had the time and courage to do it myself... Maybe one day, who knows...

I've been reading your website with a lot of interest and now I have some questions for you :

- About "sport" watches, you mention a new "gland" case, could you give further details ? Why is it called "gland" ? How does it works ?
    - I noticed that some 81 calibres sometimes had an overcoiled hairspring, do I see right ? It also seems no movement made after 1940 has this feature...
    - You do not show your DIH and post-war dress watches movements, that's a shame, I love it when you can see dials and movements side by side ;)
    - It also seems you mainly have watches from 1930 to 1950, or do you intend to add earlier and later models in the future ?

Anyway, congratulations for your website, I really hope to see more and more informative sites about lesser known brands like this one flourish.
    Thanks for your interest!

I'll try to answer your questions below.

The reason I used the word gland is that that is how it is referred to in the adverts. It mainly refers to the shape I think, a sort of lozenge or 'gland' shape. Quite how waterproof they really were I'm not sure. They have a tight fitting clip on back with gasket, a waterproof crown, but not screw down, and the patent tight fitting crystal. The adverts imply you could swim and bathe with them but I don't think we'd risk that with this type of watch now!

I had not noticed that about the 81, I'm certainly not an expert, I know what an overcoil spring is but not much more. I'll dig further into it, thanks for pointing it out.

The reason I didn't picture the movements on those pages, only mentioned the name, is because I created them after finishing the movement page and thought everyone would have seen enough movements by then! Perhaps I'll add them back in. Most of the DIH and dress watches use the 800C, which seems to be their better quality movement between about 1943-1953. They seem to have supplied it to quite a few other manufacturers as well. I think perhaps because it was one of the first widely available sweep second movements along with their smaller 820.

The reason for the date range is because that is were most of the interesting developments take place, and I think the nicest looking watches. After the mid 50s they adopt Incabloc and then ETA movements and start to look like everyone else. I still like their watches from the 60s on but they are not quite as interesting.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Carl

A nice little site Carl- it`s always nice to see new info collected together on vintage brands.
    I only have two Helvies at the moment but hope to add more in the future as the seem to have produced some pretty decent quality pieces.

Name:  Waha watches featured service.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  56.0 KBName:  IMG_20171211_194159706.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  193.2 KB

Name:  IMG_20181005_121514133.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  111.1 KBName:  Hel 830 Waha.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  41.5 KBName:  Helvetia 830 cal.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  217.3 KB

Like you I have previously found little info on the web.
    Good luck with growing your website.

Both my watches above have had full strip down services and have been featured on a friends website if anybody s interested in a more detailed look at the movements.
    :
    https://wahawatches.com/service-helv...-830-movement/
    https://wahawatches.com/restoration-helvetia-watch/
    SunnyOrange likes this.

The reason for the date range is because that is were most of the interesting developments take place, and I think the nicest looking watches.
    I feel you there ;) This remark could apply to the whole watch industry. It seems that quality after the mid-fifties declined for most brands. My question about the overcoil was in part connected to this feeling, as it is a high grade feature that gradually disappeared from major brands during the 1940s to 1950s.
    Anyway, thanks for your kind answer and congrats again !

Wow, great job! Your efforts are appreciated!

Oh and just so you know which movements with overcoil I spotted : On the "sports" page, it's the first two watches and the fourth watch, and on the "movements", the 81A-24 and 81A-26. If you look closely the stud is closer to the regulator than in flat spiral watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Enfield View Post
    Hello all.

For years I have had an interest in Helvetia Watch Company watches. There is not a lot about the company on the web and as the years have progressed I've gathered more and more information.

I eventually decided to share what I have learned with other Helvetia fans and decided to build a site. After taking much longer than I though I have finally finished!

I have pages on the History of Helvetia watches, their 1930s sports and pilots models, serial numbers, movements etc.

It will take a few days for Google to find it but in the mean time you can get to it directly from the link below. I hope some members find it useful.

http://www.helvetiahistory.co.uk

Please have a look. Any feedback gratefully received.

Thanks. Carl.
    Thanks for the effort. Always good to have another resource for info.

Regards,

I had a quick look, looks good to me. :) Of course, I bookmarked your new website. :D

Are you planing to post pocket watch movements, for example the Helvetia 30 family?

Btw, do you have some (uncommon) spare parts. For example for the Helvetia 51L?? :D :D :D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information