New Longines Tank!
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: New Longines Tank!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Member Horological_Dino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    452
    Hi all,

    The Longines Tank style watch i bought online just arrived today!!!




    I believe that its from between 1930s to 50s? It runs on the Longines 9LT movement. Im thinking of getting the dial cleaned up (not too fond of patina) and also getting the movement serviced. The acrylic crystal seems to be rather flimsy as well so gotta get that checked out.

    Anywaus, Im trying to look for a Longines buckle from the same era to match the watch.Would appreciate it if someone could point me to the right direction. :)

    Thanks!
    Last edited by Horological_Dino; June 12th, 2015 at 04:11.
    Paleotime, busmatt and Wibbs like this.

  2. #2
    Member mkws's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,535

    Re: New Longines Tank!

    Nice watch, though the serial number- and the movement picture- would be helpful in dating it. You can also contact Longines and ask them for info about your watch- they'll confirm the production date, and probably the country/AD where the watch has been invoiced. This service is free of charge, and you can easily get some idea of the history of the watch you've bought.
    Good luck finding the buckle- first of all, you'll have absolutely no way of telling if it's the real thing. Second, how will you tell if the buckle is from the 40s/50s, and not the 60s? There are no serials on them. Finding a period-correct buckle seems like a nice idea, though it's bloody hard, if not impossible. My advice? Enjoy the watch. As much as the original buckle is really a nice addition, at the end of the day it doesn't really matter.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

    If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

    (...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

    For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

  3. #3
    Member Horological_Dino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    452

    Re: New Longines Tank!

    Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    Nice watch, though the serial number- and the movement picture- would be helpful in dating it. You can also contact Longines and ask them for info about your watch- they'll confirm the production date, and probably the country/AD where the watch has been invoiced. This service is free of charge, and you can easily get some idea of the history of the watch you've bought.
    Good luck finding the buckle- first of all, you'll have absolutely no way of telling if it's the real thing. Second, how will you tell if the buckle is from the 40s/50s, and not the 60s? There are no serials on them. Finding a period-correct buckle seems like a nice idea, though it's bloody hard, if not impossible. My advice? Enjoy the watch. As much as the original buckle is really a nice addition, at the end of the day it doesn't really matter.
    Thanks for the advice :)
    I will contact Longines and try dating the watch.
    I guess you are right about finding the correct buckle. Not exactly fixated on it but I guess i could still keep a look out just in case.
    busmatt likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member Horological_Dino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    452
    Oh and I just realised i have a picture that I got from the seller for the movement and the caseback.


    Number is 72802


    Movement seems to have the number 7755485

    Thanks again guys!
    Last edited by Horological_Dino; June 9th, 2015 at 16:54.

  6. #5
    Member HOROLOGIST007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Costa Blanca Spain
    Posts
    13,361

    Re: New Longines Tank!

    As already mentioned worth contacting Longines - send the photos and serrail number of movement
    They will date it exactly and tell you it was sold to Wittnauer who were our agents in US for a long time
    busmatt likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

    "Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

  7. #6
    Member mkws's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,535

    Re: New Longines Tank!

    This serial would date your watch to around 1948.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

    If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

    (...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

    For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

  8. #7
    Member gatorcpa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    2,942

    Re: New Longines Tank!

    You can try the match the watch to this catalog list from this site:

    Vintage Watches - Collect...Identify...Discuss

    On the buckles, you would want a plain gold filled buckle with Longines engraved on the back. These tend to be on the smallish size, around 13mm or so. Here's a typical example:

    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  85.2 KB

    The harder part is finding straps that taper down to 13mm.

    Sometimes you get lucky and find a 16mm one.
    gatorcpa
    busmatt likes this.

  9. #8
    Member Horological_Dino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    452

    Re: New Longines Tank!

    Quote Originally Posted by gatorcpa View Post
    You can try the match the watch to this catalog list from this site:

    Vintage Watches - Collect...Identify...Discuss

    On the buckles, you would want a plain gold filled buckle with Longines engraved on the back. These tend to be on the smallish size, around 13mm or so. Here's a typical example:

    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  85.2 KB

    The harder part is finding straps that taper down to 13mm.

    Sometimes you get lucky and find a 16mm one.
    gatorcpa
    Thanks gatorcpa.

    I have contacted Longines and hopefully i can get some info for this as well.

    Cheers,
    Matthew

  10. #9
    Member saxoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Wien
    Posts
    2,610

    Re: New Longines Tank!

    Quote Originally Posted by Horological_Dino View Post
    Anywaus, Im trying to look for a Longines buckle from the same era to match the watch.Would appreciate it if someone could point me to the right direction. :)

    Thanks!
    Try to study old Longines adverts, the only sure way IMO to find a matching period buckle....

  11. #10
    Member gatorcpa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    2,942

    Re: New Longines Tank!

    Quote Originally Posted by saxoo View Post
    Try to study old Longines adverts, the only sure way IMO to find a matching period buckle....
    Actually, with Longines, that's not a good way to do it.

    This is because the bands and buckles on US market Longines were supplied locally by the importer (Longines-Wittnauer, Inc.) Whichever company they used also supplied buckles for LeCoultre and Hamilton. I have buckles that are identical from these companies, except for the name on the back.

    A 14K watch would have had a 14K buckle of the same style. Most of these were melted back in the 1970's and 1980's when gold prices got very high.

    European versions would likely have different buckles.

    Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. help identifying a vintage longines tank
      By mbz97 in forum Vintage & Pocket watches
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: January 5th, 2015, 22:45
    2. Vintage Longines Tank
      By geauxtigers in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: May 23rd, 2014, 03:33
    3. Vintage Longines admiral 5 star and Longines "tank" both 10k
      By MikeyD in forum WTT - Trade Corner
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: November 8th, 2013, 22:31
    4. FS: Longines Tank-style Chronograph
      By SRHEdD in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 12
      Last Post: January 5th, 2012, 21:01
    5. Longines vintage tank
      By poppoprazz in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: September 25th, 2008, 20:15

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •