New to me 1956 Bulova w Textured Dial .. Pics..Comments Please

Thread: New to me 1956 Bulova w Textured Dial .. Pics..Comments Please

New to me 1956 Bulova w Textured Dial .. Pics..Comments Please

As I was cruising the ending auctions on the bay, with 4 minutes to go, I saw this beautifully mint Textured Dial Bulova at 5 bucks. Ive been looking for an unusual textured dial and this honey comb fit the bill. so what was wrong with this picture. I scanned the listing and figured that it was the 20 dollar shipping fee from Thailand that was putting people off. So 26 bucks later I was its proud owner. Total 46.00, which I figure is a decent price for an L6 (1956) minty working Bulova. Sorry no movement pictures, but it is an immaculate 11 acc. A real Crocodile band as well (crocodiles being a dime a dozen in Thailand). The dealer thought the case was White gold filled, but it is unmarked. It doesnt look like chrome at all, so he may well be right and the mark was overlooked in manufacture. Your opinion from pics would be hard, but..... The only thing Im not crazy about is the vintage style acrylic high profile crystal. It makes the dial look smaller. So Ive exhausted my enthusiasm and yours, but opinions are welcome, please.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: New to me 1956 Bulova w Textured Dial .. Pics..Comments Please

Yes a lovely dial. The case could be nickel plated if its not shiny enough to be chrome.

And I agree - the crystal is spoiling its aesthetics somewhat.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Is the case marked Bulova? The reason I ask is how close the seconds track is to the edge.

By 1956, I would expect stainless from Bulova.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Trim, I would have expected stainless too.? And yes the case back is marked Bulova.... As to the seconds being close to the edge, thats an optical illusion being created by the slanted rim on the high acrylic crystal. Marrick, Nickel is a plating I never thought of, nor the dealer apparently. But did Bulova do that? Im not sure I would know a nickel case plating if I saw one. But I would think it would be grayer and somewhat duller in appearance? Thanks for the remarks, any are welcome,as well as answers to this casing question.

Nice watch, lovely honeycomb pattern on the dial. Find a low profile crystal that fits and it'll look great.

Well, if it is plated, it will be chrome. Nickel has quite a yellow hue, and wasn't used (except under chrome) since the late 1920s.

Why are you certain it is plated and not stainless? Because watches destined for the humid parts of the world were fully stainless quite a bit earlier than those for milder markets.

I am guessing you have more info than me.

Anyway, it looks like a nice watch. The honeycomb dial reminds me of a Lord Elgin - golden knight/black knight.

congrats on the bulova, always like textured dials

Folks thanks for all the compliments on the watch. Trim.. and any one.. Im curious could a Bulova be Stainless steel with a back that states "Stainless steel back" and nothing else, other than the normal info, antimagnetic, etc? From what Trim has said about nickel plating, I dont think this watch is that. It does look more like white gold than anything else. It is whiter than stainless steel, if that makes sense. From my experience the interior of the case, which I cant access anyway, wont tell me anything I dont know. Im going to check the Bulova website and see if they have any relevant info. By the by. I have a Black Knight with gold filled case, bought in the 80s, which I dont wear ( no gold anymore ). But if the Market holds up, will be part of my retirement fund.

Hi, if it states 'stainless steel back' then it is likely chromed. I can't believe it is WGF and not marked.

Hi all, In my search for the possible finish on my Bulova, Ive run into several white finished Bulova cases of the same vintage, that had no marks what so ever. One was indicated to be white gold by the dealer, nothing stated on a similar watch being sold by the same dealer. So in my humble opinion, the plot thickens. P.S. The dealer on the bay was 5thaverestorations.

Thread Information