new to me seiko

Thread: new to me seiko

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

new to me seiko

was looking for just a everyday sort of watch, and fancied a seiko in my collection, just for the fact its made in japan movement. Just like to thank sparcster for is help. its nothing fancy but thats what i wanted. any info would be great, its in great condition and running strong.
    i know its not vintage but good enough for me.

Re: new to me seiko

For me is vintage...

Good for you!!!, its a nice everyday watch

Hi Joe,

I think you did well! From the pics (blurry) I had seen before, It was hard to make out the model/movement.

I personally like the 6309 movement. You will find its used in the more desirable seiko 'diver' watches... as such, your 'dress' style gets bought up for donor parts/movements!

I cant make out the second digit under the 'SEIKO' on the case back.. is it '8'... in which case, i would say the watch dates to Aug '87 (dont think it would be '77)

Looks in good shape and its nice to have the original? seiko strap!

Should be a good, reliable day to day watch... any movement pics!

Congrats
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

on the case back its says 6309-8020 and under the word seiko it as 709593 , i did take the movement out to clean a piece on dust on the dial, movement was clean and matched the numbers just forgot to take pics, will do later on. how can i tell if this was made in japan

Quote Originally Posted by joeuk View Post
    on the case back its says 6309-8020 and under the word seiko it as 709593 , i did take the movement out to clean a piece on dust on the dial, movement was clean and matched the numbers just forgot to take pics, will do later on. how can i tell if this was made in japan
    Its not 709593, but 7'O'9593! The 'O' is for October, not a Zero. So it dates to Oct '88! The movent should be signed Japan. Also, it looks like its signed japan on the dial... at '6'?
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

yes movement had japan and as japan on the dial at 6 oclock. been reading about dating but still cant get my head round it lol

Quote Originally Posted by joeuk View Post
    yes movement had japan and as japan on the dial at 6 oclock. been reading about dating but still cant get my head round it lol
    Dating is simple... really!

using your serial number.... 7O9593. The first 2 digits are year and month!

So, '7' is the year, not decade!! so you can tell from this its 1977 or 1987 or 1997. It too late to be '77, and I think to early to be '97

The second digit 'O' is the month!
    1 = Jan, 2 = Feb, 3 = Mar, 4 = Apr, 5 = May, 6 = Jun, 7 = Jul, 8 = Aug, 9 = Sep, O = Oct, N = Nov, D = Dec.

The last 4 digits is the production run. The one made after would have been 9594 and so on!

So, if your serial no. was: 349593 = Apr '83, 5D9593 = Dec '85.

Make sense?

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Nice little pick up there Joe....looks a nice one

I've got this one which dates from 1980 (I think?) which I acquired a few years back, but havn't worn recently......may have to do some thing about that

Cheers johnny , for the price of 27.50 UK pounds its shocked how well its running and day date function works a dream unlike the timex I bought which is now in the bin. I would rather buy something like this then a modern unnamed quartz watch which proberly cost the same. You know want watches I'm talking about the fashion watches .

movement shot sorry about the quality

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information