New (to me) Vintage Omega w/ 1010 Movement!
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: New (to me) Vintage Omega w/ 1010 Movement!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    So my dad just gave me a 1972 Omega Automatic! It's got the 1010 movement. He gave me the back story on the watch: he bought it brand new in 1972, he was wearing it when he married my mom, and he was wearing it at the hospital when both my brother and I were born. So cool! In 1993 when my mom bought him a Rolex for his 50th birthday, he put the Omega in a drawer and forgot about it until just a couple weeks ago. He asked if I might want it and I said "hell yes!". He had it professionally serviced by an Omega dealer and had the crystal replaced too. The original leather strap was BEAT so I replaced it with a 18mm Eulit Perlon strap with gold hardware to match the case.

Pics:

PS_here's my whole collection:

Beach watch, daily wear, fancy wear

Can you tell I like perlon straps?
    Last edited by thirstyturtle; August 16th, 2014 at 04:29.
    busmatt, bobbee, joeuk and 1 others like this.

Re: New (to me) Vintage Omega w/ 1010 Movement!

Although I haven't worm it for a whole day yet, I have wound it and let it run and noticed that it seems to run pretty slow even though it was JUST serviced. I'm thinking I'll add up to several minutes a day that it runs slow. I just set it about 30 minutes ago and it's already 10 seconds behind....that adds up to like 8 minutes a day! Not a terribly big deal because I'll only wear it occasionally and I'll be setting it each time and only wearing it for a few hours, but I'm a little disappointed in its accuracy...

I think you should take it back, because after a clean and oil and regulation a good watchmaker should be able to regulate this seventeen jewel version of the 101x family to a matter of seconds per day. It is Omega's first fast-beat at 28,800 BPM and should be quite accurate.

Serviced by an Omega dealership, theoretically it will have the correct lubricants in the right places and should perform much better.

Regards

Desmond

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Agreed - the two 1012s in my collection run within a few seconds per day, which should be what your's is capable of, too.

Nice watch, btw, but belongs at a black leather strap, imho.

Best
    Tomcat
    bobbee likes this.
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

Thanks for the replies, I hate to trouble my dad with taking it back but he shipped it to me so I would have to ship it back if I wanted it serviced again (for free I would think) by the same place. Is there any chance the accuracy will improve any after wearing it for a while?

I think I agree about the strap, although I like the perlon, this is a really classy-looking watch and deserves some animal skin, haha. Any tips for where to get a thin, low-profile leather strap?

Hi there,

Quote Originally Posted by thirstyturtle View Post
    ...so I would have to ship it back if I wanted it serviced again (for free I would think)
    For free or not for free, Omega certification can't replace skills, care, and knowledge. I would not trust this workshop, and prefer any other watchmaker to check and eventually adjust it. Better loose some bucks than having the watch ruined for free.

Quote Originally Posted by thirstyturtle View Post
    Is there any chance the accuracy will improve any after wearing it for a while?
    Definitely not.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Ranfft View Post
    Hi there,

For free or not for free, Omega certification can't replace skills, care, and knowledge. I would not trust this workshop, and prefer any other watchmaker to check and eventually adjust it. Better loose some bucks than having the watch ruined for free.

Definitely not.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    How much do you think a calibration will cost at a good dealer locally?

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Above are all good advisors, with excellent advice.
    My 1022 keeps excellent time to COSC parameters.

Name:  IMG_20140816_143357.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  151.3 KB

Well I'm running a little test and I've set the Omega to my Quartz Seiko to the second. I'll check how close they are in 12 hours and see where we're at, I think I may have been mistaken with my precious error estimate...I hope so!

Easily regulated by any watch guy and like others said should be a few seconds a day out , congrats on a great piece with family history and hopefully you can now add more history to it.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information