New Member: Need help Identifying an "old appearing" Hamilton Watch
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kevin A

Thread: New Member: Need help Identifying an "old appearing" Hamilton Watch

New Member: Need help Identifying an "old appearing" Hamilton Watch

Hello,
    This watch was one of three watches my father had prior to his passing in 2003. Two I have identified this one not sure about it. It is a mechanical movement with a seconds sub dial that is at 6:00. It appears thru a magnifying glass to have a coiled spring behind the sub dial arm. The only thing on the back of the case is S&W with a border and the words 14k gold filled. The case measures 25mm and the band is 12mm. I am only interested in information, not value nor selling it, due to it being my fathers. Sorry for photo size/quality, I had to resize them down and I still was to large. I can email the originals if someone has an idea about this watch. Thanks for helping if you can.

Kevin
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Kevin A; August 8th, 2014 at 15:18.
    busmatt likes this.

Re: New Member: Need help Identifying an "old appearing" Hamilton Watch

Hi...I am no Hamilton expert, but you appear to have a mid- to late 1930s Hamilton Prescott man's watch. The movement serial number could be used to date the watch more closely. I think these were relatively popular when new, but less so today due to the size. Nice watch, and the family connection is a bonus.

Here is an excerpt from the 1935 Hamilton catalog (from vintagewatchforums.com).

Name:  HamiltonPrescott.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  23.1 KB

Thank you.....since my father was born in 1918 it may have been my uncles watch. He was dads oldest brother. He was killed in the war. Anyone who would know for sure has passed away but it must have had a special place in my fathers heart to keep it.I guess late 1930's could have mit his first mans watch even. I wound it and set the time and it is running in sync with my new Seiko SSC007 solar chrono. Thank you again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That's a very nice original dial on that Prescott. You are missing the #3 marker, but these dials do pop up on eBay from time to time.

Easy fix for a watchmaker if you have the piece.

My watch says hello:

Here's what the movement should look like:

Take care,
    gatorcpa

EThank you, it is very interesting to find that it is a true vintage watch from 1935. I have to see if my sister may have seen my father wear this and if it was my uncles. I found this article on

Sorry but can't seem to get pictures or link to work but a Google search of "1935 hamilton presott " should get you there.

Vintage Hamilton Watch Restoration: 1935 Prescott - Overhaul
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/www...om/.../1935-pr...
    Feb 2, 2013 - The first of two models named Prescott was introduced in 1935 and only made for one year
    Vintage Hamilton Watch Restoration
    Information about vintage Hamilton watch repair, restoration, models, and advice for collecting and collectors

Saturday, February 2, 2013

1935 Prescott - Overhaul
    The first of two models named Prescott was introduced in 1935 and only made for one year. .The Prescott is one of a handful of watches that featured moveable lugs.

The Prescott came in a 14K gold filled case with only one dial option... a silver dial finished white with solid gold markers. .The hand style on a Prescott is called "baton".

Prescotts are pretty uncommon models but they do turn up occasionally. .The trick to getting a nice Prescott is to get one with a nice case - as they can wear extensively to the long edge of the bezel between the lugs.

I have a nice Prescott that was due for an overhaul so I will show you how it's went. .This Prescott has a well-above average case.

The dial is original. .The easiest way to tell is the area within the seconds track is bright finished, where everything else is white. .A refinished dial will often have this area white as well - or even painted silver - but it should look like bare silver.

1935 was pretty much the last year of the 987F and you might find a Prescott with a 987E. .A 987A would certainly be wrong and a 987 would be too - although both would fit and work fine.

With the movement out of the case back, the first thing to come off is the hands. .The second hand will come off when I remove the dial.

With the dial gone, the cannon pinion, hour wheel, minute wheel and setting wheel can come off.

With the front cleaned of the movement is ready to turn over.

The fist thing to do with the back exposed is to release the tension from the mainspring - this one had run all the way down so no tension was left.

Next, the barrel bridge is removed, along with the winding wheel and ratchet wheel.

The mainspring barrel, center wheel and third wheel are exposed once the bridge is removed. .The stem, winding pinion and clutch come out at this point too.

Two screws hold the train bridge on. .Once they are removed the fourth wheel and the escape wheel are ready to come out.

Everything is removed with the exception of the balance and pallet fork. .They come off next.

With the balance out of the way, access to the two screws that hold the pallet fork in place is obtained. .That comes out next. .And everything is ready to go into the cleaner.

While the parts are being cleaned and rinsed, I will ready a new mainspring to go into the barrel. .A mainspring winder makes short work of this tricky operation.

The old mainspring still had some life to it but it's a good idea to put a new one in if you want to have a healthy action and long running watch.

Here the spring is wound into the mainspring winder. .A little pusher will slide it into the barrel.

And here it is again, in it's new home along with the arbor in the center.

All the parts have been cleaned and set out to dry. .Now it's time for reassembly.

Everything goes back in the way it came out... first in is the pallet fork.

Then the escape wheel and the fourth wheel.

Then the third wheel, center wheel and mainspring barrel.

The barrel bridge holds everything in place. .And the winding wheel and ratchet wheel go on next.

The balance assembly goes on next and the watch can go onto the timer. .Looks pretty good, 4 seconds slow per day with good amplitude thanks to a a fresh mainspring.

The dial and hands go back on and everything is ready to go back into the case.

And here's the finished product - ready for some more wrist time.

HandyDan at 12:46 PM

3 comments:

AnonymousMarch 21, 2013 at 6:23 AM
    nice to know another Hamilton collector out there!

HandyDanMarch 22, 2013 at 2:45 PM
    There are plenty of us. Join this forum if you haven't already. http://www.vintagewatchforums.com You won't find a friendlier group of collectors out there and you definitely won't find a more knowledgeable one.

AnonymousMay 21, 2014 at 6:25 PM
    If you ever need to get an unexpected, very special gift for that hard to surprise person in your life, Dan's ETSY site is the place to go. This Prescott made my Mother very happy and surprised at her birthday this past winter in Dallas Texas. Dan kept this project secret as my Mother is a avid collector. Not an easy task I'm sure. We continue to visit ( and buy ) from Dan's ever growing collection. Thanks again, Jlm in DE

Load more...
    Links to this post
    Create a Link

Home
    View web version