New old watch...Some questions from a vintage watch noobie
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: New old watch...Some questions from a vintage watch noobie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New old watch...Some questions from a vintage watch noobie

I recently picked up a watch similar to this one. Exactly this one, this is just not mine pictured. I have a few questions if someone can be so kind to answer.

1) Any idea the case material and can it be refinished?
    2) Average cost of crystal replacement for a watch such as this. Using mineral crystal.
    3) Is it possible to take a watch like this, and replace movement with a new quartz movement? In other words, keep the dial and hands and either place new quartz movement into this case, or transfer dial and hands to new case with new quartz movement?

The watch runs now, but I'm sure the day will come when it doesn't. I love the look but I'm not going to pay the cost to repair or replace the hand wind movement. Don't think it would be worth it. If anyone can tell me anything about this watch it would be greatly appreciated.

Name:  s-l300.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  21.1 KBName:  vintage-sheffield-allsport-dive-watch_360_45524940d90973fd55b7331b09fe5cb2.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  36.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Old_Tractor likes this.

Re: New old watch...Some questions from a vintage watch noobie

It's a cheap diver style watch with a chrome case so just for fun and not a real sports watch. Inside should be a 1 jewel Ronda 1215 pin-lever movement.

Sheffield was based in New York and sold cheap Swiss made watches under their own name.

Yeah. I knew it wasn't some high end diver watch. But I love the look. Do you know if that movement is still made, or whether it can be replaced with a modern movement? I'd love to wear the watch as is with some degree of reliability. Would it be as simple as finding a movement that fits and using a new crown? Or do you have to find a movement that fits he hands as well?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The hands will be a big problem as Ronda used 180/130/20 hole diameters for the hands and modern day Ronda movements use 120/70/20.

A crown won't be a problem as it's just a standard crown and you just messure the pipe and get a matching crown.

The dial feet won't fit a new movement but these can be cut and then you use sticky pads to fasten it to the new movement.

The new date wheel woun't fit either but you could just leave the old one in place and not bother with it working.
    Last edited by Shum; 1 Week Ago at 12:49.

So it sounds like I would be better off tracking down that old movement and just replacing the existing one? When it breaks, of course. Only working movement I can find is $70. I only paid $1 for the watch. I don't mind putting money into an old watch. Even a cheap one. But I'd much rather do that with a modern movement if possible.
    Benjamin Barrera likes this.

I would enjoy the watch for what it is now and not worry about it breaking in the future.

Getting an alternative movement to fit perfectly and work in that case will be a massive hassle and not worth it IMO. I have done it myself with a watch that had a lot of sentimental value and would be loathe to try it again.
    Dan S likes this.

coachstu...Hello.

I suggest just getting it running! It is probably a 1 Jewel movement, yet pretty robust: they made them to go quite a while, & put up with a fair amount of 'rough' use. Once your watch was cleaned & oiled and put in good running condition, it might well carry-on for quite a few years.

A crown will be easy, as will a plastic crystal. The case will always look like it's been left out in a field over the Winter (!), but it can be cleaned & shined-up a bit...it'll look pretty good, and have a Story to tell.

I've owned & worked on a few of these, and--although they can be bit of work to get right--do go together / tick / work as advertised.

'They are what they are'...! Michael.

The answer to 1) 2) 3) would be -> just buy a new quartz watch :)
    Chaos is my focus

Thanks for the replies! It runs OK now. And I guess it does have a story, just not mine. I'll just make one up.

I guess I'm still at a loss as to why the dial and hands cannot be transferred to a suitable case and attached to a new movement without too much difficulty.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information