New Pickup: Vintage Benrus

Thread: New Pickup: Vintage Benrus

New Pickup: Vintage Benrus

Several weeks ago, when I purchased my vintage Hamilton Baxter, I was torn between that and a similar Benrus from the 1950's era. Today, when I happened to be in the same watch store for a repair on my Vostok Europe, I went ahead and bit the bullet and bought this. I don't know the year, but, similar to the Hamilton, it has a 10kt rolled gold case and a stainless steel caseback. This watch does have a swiss movement, though, unlike the Hamilton. All in all, for $225 I'm a happy camper

Don't know the model name or approximate year, any help in that area would be greatly appreciated.

Re: New Pickup: Vintage Benrus

Nice watch Orange Fury. How's it running so far? I've got a round dial mechanical Benrus I believe is from the 60's. I'll post a pic of it tomorrow. Anyway, nice find wear the heck out of it.
    cottontop
    "If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' 'til you do suck seed." Curly Howard

I haven't taken measurements to the second yet, but it seems to be keeping pretty accurate time so far. Right after I purchased it though, I noticed that the hour hand was bent slightly downward and was getting hung up on the minute hand, but I took it back in the shop and they were able to quickly and easily fix it. Outside of that, it seems to be running smoothly.

This watch is ridiculously comfortable too. I thought the smaller case would take some getting used to, but it sits on my wrist almost perfectly.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Not sure about models, but I think that would date to the 40's; the shock protection system used on those was one of the earlier efforts. Normally, watches with it would say "Shock Absorber" on the dial, but I suspect this one has been refinished.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    Not sure about models, but I think that would date to the 40's; the shock protection system used on those was one of the earlier efforts. Normally, watches with it would say "Shock Absorber" on the dial, but I suspect this one has been refinished.
    My understanding from the shop (who I've done extensive business with over the past year) is that the vintage watches they have are completely cleaned and serviced before they put them on the sales floor. The only non-original part, according to the shop, is the straps, which they had to replace due to the age and deterioration of the originals.

Most place won't consider "refinishing" a dial to be non-original (it <is> the original dial, just with new paint). These watches didn't have any dust or water protection properties, so given the amount of brassing on the lugs, I have to doubt the dial would look that pristine if it wasn't refinished. That's not a bad thing, BTW; this watch looks amazing, and the dial work is very well done.

Here's an example of an original, untouched dial from the same era (same movement, same dial type, just a in a rectangular case instead of square)
    Name:  Watch.JPG
Views: 913
Size:  342.8 KBName:  Movement.JPG
Views: 537
Size:  307.3 KB
    Last edited by AbslomRob; January 6th, 2011 at 14:50.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Here is my vintage Benrus I promised to post. (I hope this isn't thread hijacking. If so, apologies in advance.)............cottontop
    "If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' 'til you do suck seed." Curly Howard

Nice looking watch

I would also say that the dial has been refinished (nicely) at some point, as the first thing I noticed was the font used for the logo looks more 80's than 40's, and is different to the other example from the same period!!

Still nice tho

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

All I can say is that the (OP's) watch has an ETA 900 or similar movement:

bidfun-db ETA_900: ETA 900

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information