New Pocket Watches

Thread: New Pocket Watches

RGK

New Pocket Watches

I'm new to this site, but noticed there are various posts on pocket watches. There seems to be some very knowledgeable people that visit this site. I have several antique watches, but would like to purchase a new mechanical watch. However, I'm having trouble finding a new watch manufacturer and defining what the movements are, quality, shock resistance, etc. I would like a pocket watch with a Swiss movement that's durable. I assume I would have to spend from $500 to $1,000 for a decent pocket watch. I've heard of the following manufacturers:
    • Classique
    • Claude Pascal
    • Jacques du Manoir
    • Jean Marcel
    • Jean Pierre of Switzerland

I've considered the following, but believe they have Chinese movements Also, I'm not sure if the watches are built to last. I've received various pocket watches as gifts that seem to be around $100, but have stopped working within a year.
    • Charles-Hubert
    • Rapport

Any guidance anyone can give me would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Re: New Pocket Watches

In my opinion all of the ones you mention are bad investments. The "Claude Pascal" is a skeletonized Chinese copy of a Unitas 6497 or 6498 (ETA 6497 or 6498) movement. They sell for under $50.00 without the name on a certain Chinese website. The Charles Hubert and Rapport are Chinese junk as well. All of the Jacques du Manoir watches I see are quartz. The Jean Marcels are advertising "100% Swiss" but I wonder. They're advertising that they have Unitas movements. Unitas was bought by ETA about 30 years ago, maybe longer. So where are they getting Unitas movements? And quite frankly at those prices you could buy a 14K gold vintage watch, probably a couple of them depending on what you like. All of the ones I saw here were base metal or plated. If you want an everyday carry watch with a Unitas movement go look around Ebay for Arnex, Caravelle, some Elgins, Walthams and etc. after they were sold to the Swiss, and etc. There are lots of different names on them but they're all the same movements inside. Good luck!

RGK

Thanks for the input.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

You should be able to get a decent Swiss PW at that sort of cash. Anything with a - genuine! - Unitas 6497/6498, in fact. Try Tissot, Aerowatch, Bulova - they still make watches with that movement. Good luck.

Hartmut Richter

RGK

Thank you!

In this price range? Tissot. Or, as Hartmut has suggested, Aerowatch. Though as a Tissot fan, I recommend Tissot.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

RGK

Thanks for your help.

Davosa also, uses the Unitas movement. The only other contemporary pocket watch that uses a good movement is the Japanese Orient brand pocket watch with a wind indicator. The only problem with the Orient is its small size.

Thread Information