New to pocket watches...

Thread: New to pocket watches...

New to pocket watches...

A friend asked a favor of me, to fix a watch-related problem. He'd taken it to a couple of local watch places, and they wouldn't fix a "non-watch" problem. The pocket watch itself is fine - the problem stems from the pocket watch chain, how it doesn't re-reel into the holder. Is there a term for the holder (that reels in the chain)? Thanks for reading, and whatever assistance can be provided.

Re: New to pocket watches...

Hey James...do you have a photograph of what you're talking about? I'm a bit lost with your description of the chain. It doesn't sound like anything I've ever heard of.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Haven't see a pocketwatch with a retractable chain before. Hopefully its not a Fusee watch with the chain hanging out...

I gather you're talking about something like one of those retractable passcard things that some corporations use? If it no longer retracts, that would mean the spring inside it is either broken or detached. Easy enough to fix, assuming the housing was designed to be taken apart. Since I've never seen anything like this for a vintage watch, I'm going to guess this is a "newer" quartz watch. The chain housing might not have been designed to be easily disassembled.

Pictures!
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    ... Hopefully its not a Fusee watch with the chain hanging out......
    Ohhhh, painful images you draw.... LOL!!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Shangas View Post
    Hey James...do you have a photograph of what you're talking about? I'm a bit lost with your description of the chain. It doesn't sound like anything I've ever heard of.
    I realized after perusing pocket watch sites, this isn't an expensive pocket watch as they go, but it has a lot of sentimental value for my friend. Attached to this message is a picture of it - as you can see, the chain sits there, halfway unreeled.

I'm hoping to find the name of the piece, to find a technique for taking it apart - or at least be able to call a watch place to see if they fix such a device.

Attached Images Attached Images

That chain reel is not something that is part of pocketwatch technology. It could possibly be repaired, but only if it is designed to be able to actually open. Anyway the cost of repair (even if finding the necessary spring or other parts which could prove impossible) would be higher than the total value of the reel and watch (assuming it is a quartz). I suggest replacing the defective reel with a normal chain.

I just wonder, if your friend normally wears this with the chain pulled all the way into the reel, and the reel is fastened to a belt loop, wouldn't the watch just hang there? That would per definition make it into a pendant watch rather than a pocketwatch...
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

I agree with Erik. This isn't a watch-chain, it's a retractable lanyard (I think that's what they're called). These are watch-chains:

Top to bottom:

Double Albert.
    Single Albert.
    Ring-clip/spring-ring.

Not all watch-chains have the little fob-drops (the short, extra bits of chain), but some do.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Thread Information