New purchase: Omikron frankenwatch
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By pithy
  • 1 Post By nats111

Thread: New purchase: Omikron frankenwatch

New purchase: Omikron frankenwatch

I just got an Omikron I purchased for very cheap on Ebay. It's the first watch I've bought online and I have a few questions. Apologies for the poor pictures, all I had was an iPhone.
    Name:  2018-01-02 20.43.18.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  96.3 KBName:  2018-01-02 15.55.44.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  78.9 KBName:  2018-01-02 15.56.08.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  99.0 KB
    It looks like it has a new crystal. The hour an minute hands look new as they don't have any patina. The edges of the dial have the paint or whatever the dial is made of peeling up a bit but as its black it's not too noticeable.

The watch started right up when I wound it but right away the crown and stem were wobbling around. I took the caseback off and both retaining screws were there (although they have slightly different size heads on them). They were also fully tightened. The movement is not clearly the wrong size for the case but there is enough play that it moves around a bit.
    Name:  2018-01-02 15.43.25.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  69.6 KB
    The stem is also very loose in the case, should it be a close fit with the hole in the case? All of the pictures of Omikron movements I have seen so far do not have case clamps under the screws but should I add some to secure the movement? Also what movements is this? I found a place under the balance wheel which says 1130, could this be an AS 1130?

Name:  2018-01-02 15.53.48.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  149.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: New purchase: Omikron frankenwatch

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a franken. The hands are certainly wrong (they are too long and lumed, with an un-lumed dial), but I'm guessing that the rest of it is basically correct (no guarantee on the crown). You could replace the hands with unlumed dauphine hands, or just live with them, they're not too bad. Overall it's a nice-looking watch. I see a lot of scratches on the case opening, but no obvious brassing. Is it all stainless, or plated? There should be an indication on the casebook.
    [Edit: After closer inspection of the photos, I'm pretty sure I see some base metal showing here and there, so I guess it's plated.]

AS 1130 indeed: bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: AS 1130
    Last edited by badbackdan; January 3rd, 2018 at 05:32.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

- Crystal is definitely a replacement. Its high dome is wrong for this watch I think. Slimmer profile would be more suitable.
    - Crown is not from this watch as on me as well. It is too thick for costume watch.
    - Wrong crystal caused extra inner space, allowing the movement to play extra tenth of millimeter, causing wobbling.

All above issues are easily fixable.
    Although it is a nice small watch. I like it.
    Vintage Zodiac addict.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by YuriyV View Post
    . . . . Although it is a nice small watch. . . .
    As a vintage watch - small in what context?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by pithy; January 3rd, 2018 at 06:21.
    Chascomm likes this.
    Courtesy of ULF.

These were common over here and often very worn out an with easy access to spare parts movement and part swaps were common.

Movements are indestructible as much as the cases were prone to chrome loss due to low quality of production so some movements lived through few case swaps, unless thrown a way.

I have a full box of Omikrons for parts,mainplates,movement parts, hands, dials etc. They will have second life as these:

WPAC OFFICIAL SENIOR BASHER

"your grail shall be bashed"

Quote Originally Posted by YuriyV View Post
    - Crystal is definitely a replacement. Its high dome is wrong for this watch I think. Slimmer profile would be more suitable.
    - Crown is not from this watch as on me as well. It is too thick for costume watch.
    - Wrong crystal caused extra inner space, allowing the movement to play extra tenth of millimeter, causing wobbling.

All above issues are easily fixable.
    Although it is a nice small watch. I like it.
    So how would you recommend I fix the loose movement? I searched around here and all the threads just say to tighten the screws locating the movement, but I did that already. Should I try putting case clamps under the screws? There is a seller here which has a bunch of different sizes: https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odk...t=0&rmvSB=true

I measure the screws in the watch as just under 1mm diameter, but I think the measurements for case clamps are usually the overall dimensions, not the diameter of the holes.

Maybe a shim between the crystal and the movement?

Also the play of the stem inside the hole in the case worries me a little since the stem moves quite a bit, should there be a lining tube there?

Thanks for the input everyone, it's fun learning a bit more about mechanical watches.

Quote Originally Posted by pithy View Post
    As a vintage watch - small in what context?
    I measure the diameter as 36.9 mm. For my 7" wrist it seems like a nice size for a dress watch.
    Name:  2018-01-03 09.56.19.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  125.5 KB
    badbackdan likes this.

Thread Information