new scores at auction?

Thread: new scores at auction?

new scores at auction?

just got these today at local auction paid $25 for both the Bulova pocket watch looks to be from the 60's maybe? and the ladies Gruen Precision i think may also be from the 60's . they both run nicely any info on them would be great as my wifes thinks hers is nicer:)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: new scores at auction?

The Bulova movement is almost a 17AH... but it appears to have a lower jewel count (15?... hard to read). I would date the Bulova earlier than the 60's but others will know more.

The dating on the Gruen may be correct but it could be later. Again, resident Gruen Gurus will better advise.

Personally I think the Bulova is the better find...
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

The Bulova is a 17 AE caliber which is based on the Venus 133 caliber. It probably dates to the 1940s or so.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi -

The Gruen is hard to date: there were several different iterations of the shape of the G in "Gruen", but the Gruens from the late 1960s and thereafter didn't have the hard backward slant of the G.

The movement, however, is from the late period of the company and is essentially not from Gruen, as Gruen ladies' movements were of a completely different ... calibre, if you'll excuse the pun. This calibre - I'm having a hard time identifying it, but parts do look familiar - is not originally from Gruen and looks to be from the latter part of the 1960s at the earliest: up until then Gruen had enough of its own movements still in the pipelines, and this is barely marked as Gruen.

The red seconds hand is interesting, as are the sub indices of 13-24.

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

thanks for all the info i thought the red second hand was pretty cool and the 24 hr military ???? looks to flashy with the band is gold filled and watch looks gold plated?? my wife has got the bug there was a couple more nice watchs at the auc longines from around 42 company watch and some other pocket watches went a little high for me thanks again for the info

Thread Information