new skeleton pocket watch help? (are Unitas clones any good?)

Thread: new skeleton pocket watch help? (are Unitas clones any good?)

Question new skeleton pocket watch help? (are Unitas clones any good?)

This forum has been very useful so far, but I now have a specific question.
    I have found a skeleton pocket watch that I like, but I have found a few very similar watches with very different price tags.

Open Face Skeleton 730-908-25 - Jean Marcel White pocket watch (Jean Marcel)
    Katsuboya | Rakuten Global Market: Made in Switzerland EPOS hand wound skeleton Pocket Watch and Pocket Watch / Unitas ETA6497 (Epos)
    Tasche Crystalline (Steinhausen)
    Jewelry AugustMoon | Rakuten Global Market: La Porte (Rapport) rolling by hand type watch PW89 (Rapport)
    Open Face G252 CM (Jean Pierre)
    Jean Pierre Chrome Plated Open Face Skeleton Pocket Watch - G252CM from Bond Hilton Jewellers (Jean Pierre - note, the movement in this one looks different even though it has the same product code G252cm, any ideas why?)

I guess the cheaper ones have a Chinese Unitas 6497 clone, but I don't really know. Do you think the first two are Swiss and the rest Chinese?

My real question is: how long could I expect the relatively cheaper watches to run?
    Accuracy is not so important to me, but I want a good durable movement that will last a long time.

I would also appreciate any suggestions for other good quality new skeleton pocket watches around the $300-$600 range.
    Thanks in advance! :)

Re: new skeleton pocket watch help? (are Unitas clones any good?)

Hi there,

Quote Originally Posted by kmuller View Post
    I guess the cheaper ones have a Chinese Unitas 6497 clone, but I don't really know. Do you think the first two are Swiss and the rest Chinese?
    Yes, you can be sure, that they are cheap China knock offs with impertinent price tags. Why do you believe, the sellers don't give no detailled information about the movement?

The China copies are not necessarily junk, but if they fail, you don't get parts, and you can't be sure that ETA parts actually fit. I guess reputable makers like Jean Marcel and Epos have good reasons to prefer the more expensive originals. They simply need to prevent the suspicion that they produce disposible items.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Thread Information