New and some help

Thread: New and some help

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New and some help

Hello. My name is Ken and I've been lurking for a while just reading. I got my Great Grandfathers pocket watch back from servicing but their appraiser was away. So I've got no info on it at all. I'll post some pics. The hands have a blue burnished color to them. The only markings on the movement are.. "The Unicorn Swiss Made" and "129" stamped down by what I would call a rachet. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: New and some help

Looks like a nice watch, but I'm not familiar with it.

You should check eBay for a valuation.
    Regards from Sunny San Diego..........Tom

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Well, given that it has a 3/4 plate (i.e. most of the back is covered by one big plate rather than having it split up into lots of bridges and cocks), it looks structurally more Glashütte-German or even American than Swiss. Still, there were some Swiss movements with 3/4 plate. Other than that, it is one of the kind we have had several of in the last few months: a reasonably high-class movement with a low jewel count. As such, I would suspect it was made during WWI. The rest of the movement fits that as well: full keyless works from the looks of it (i.e. turn crown to wind it up, pull out crown and turn to set the time; no need for pressing a button or pushing a lever on the side of the case for setting the time).

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yes I'd agree with Hartmut here. Before 1920 and after 1900. World War I seems to be a good conclusion.
    Thanks you for posting.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thanks for the info. Where would a person look for like pieces for comparison. More info like the actual movement and such. My grandparents were from England, but my Grandpa passed and it had been the the saftey deposit box for 30 odd years. My Grandma has no info at all. Thanks again

Ken

After a little searching I found a few references. One eBay.nl seller offers one (#130194367200) he says is Rolex-made. Another seller in Australia says Unicorn was Rolex's first sub-brand (pre-dating Tudor).

According to Farfo's Vintage Watches, the name "Unicorn" was patented by Rolex in 1919. Their offering:

According to Tias.com:

"In the 1920s and 30s, Rolex has numerous secondary brands, similar to what the Tudor brand is today. One of those brands was the Unicorn. You may find these wrist and pocket watches with an unsigned dial, but Unicorn signed movement, http://pages.captainhucksbooty.com/3559/PictPage/1920714608.html, both dial and movement signed Unicorn and many with the dial signed Rolex with a Unicorn movement. http://pages.captainhucksbooty.com/3559/PictPage/1920714608.html. I have not found any record of Rolex using the Unicorn mark after the 1930s."

Here's an old Rolex ad that mentions a Unicorn version near the bottom:

So, it looks like your pocket watch is a late teens to early twenties Rolex-Unicorn.
    Regards from Sunny San Diego..........Tom

And now you know the rest of the story. Thanks, Tom!

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

That's great guys. Thanks very much. Now I at least have a starting point.....

Ken

The "The" in "The Unicorn" makes me wonder... I've seen Rolex Unicorn movements before ,but none with The Unicorn.
    pilotswatch

I found a site www.vintagemilitarywatches.com and they've got a ton of old WW1 watches. There looks like there is some similar watch movements but I don't have access to the movement page. Anybody a member on here. Am I right when looking at watches to only look for ones with the second repeater @ 6. Does anybody know of a few good books focusing on the 1900 to 1930 range where we think my watch is from.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information