New timing-machine/beat-regulation app for Android, no need for external mic
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: New timing-machine/beat-regulation app for Android, no need for external mic

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New timing-machine/beat-regulation app for Android, no need for external mic

[Cross-posted from the Public Forum, I wasn't sure where this topic would be best appreciated.]

I'm adapting my Android app, WildSpectra Mobile (available on Google Play), to provide beat-analysis in an upcoming release for the purpose of mechanical-watch regulation. The "guts" are done (it detects beats, determines the beat rate, and converts to error in secs/day vs. a user-specified target beat-rate). This all works quite well off the built-in mic on my phone (although the room needs to be quiet so that incidental noise doesn't introduce false positives into the beat detection).

I'm looking for feature requests and UI-design suggestions. The existing app's fundamental purpose was to display real-time scrolling spectrograms (aka sonograms), providing both linear frequency or logarithmic frequency (aka octave-band), and also shows a "bouncing" spectrum and a waveform (oscilloscope). As I design this new beat-analysis functionality, I'm curious what sorts of capabilities people would like the app to provide. My current idea is simply to let the user specify a target beat-rate and then to present the error graphically (on a needle-dial or something else easily visually understood). Does that just about sum up the necessary functionality of a usable timing machine app or are there other useful data it could provide?

Check out WildSpectra Mobile today although the currently available version doesn't offer beat-analysis:
    Free lite version:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ctramobilelite
    Paid pro version:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ectramobilepro

Thanks.

Cheers!

DragonDan, krstin and Smoking Joe like this.

Re: New timing-machine/beat-regulation app for Android, no need for external mic

This would be great if it works. Cheers

Re: New timing-machine/beat-regulation app for Android, no need for external mic

I've downloaded it to my HTC Thunderbolt. I'll play with it tonight (too loud at my office). It looks quite helpful!
    Recommended settings for recording a mechanical watch?
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Here is a link to an instruction manual for a Vibrograph watch timing machine. It's old tech, but might be some useful information in there:

Vibrograph B2000 Instruction Manual

Common beats/hour (bph) and beats/second (bps) settings for vintage watches would include:

18,000 bph ( 5.0 bps)
    19,800 bph ( 5.5 bps)
    21,600 bph ( 6.0 bps)
    23,400 bph ( 6.5 bps)
    28,800 bph ( 8.0 bps)
    36,000 bph (10.0 bps)

Any chance for an iPhone/iPad version of this app? I do have a older Android mini-tablet on which I might try it in the next few days.

Thanks for letting us know about this. Would it be OK of I linked this to other fora?

Take care,
    gatorcpa
    DragonDan and WatchFred like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonDan View Post
    I've downloaded it to my HTC Thunderbolt. I'll play with it tonight (too loud at my office). It looks quite helpful!
    Recommended settings for recording a mechanical watch?
    Depends on what you want to analyze on the watch? In general, tick-tocking is very fast (it's *almost* a brand-band noise spike), so you will want a small transform size so as to get high temporal resolution (at the implicit and unavoidable trade-off of frequency resolution. The other thing that is crucial to increasing temporal resolution is selecting the highest possible sampling rate.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by gatorcpa View Post
    Any chance for an iPhone/iPad version of this app? I do have a older Android mini-tablet on which I might try it in the next few days.

Thanks for letting us know about this. Would it be OK of I linked this to other fora?
    Thanks for the specs on common beat rates! As to an iOS version, no luck, I haven't gotten into iOS programming at all. You are welcome to cross-post or otherwise promote this project (or the app in general).

The work is coming along nicely. I expect it will work well when I release it.

Cheers!

Look forward to try this out, when its up and running. Will it be a graph based or will it tell you with the + and - rate

yeah,i think so,The other thing that is crucial to increasing temporal resolution is selecting the highest possible sampling rate.

Quote Originally Posted by joeuk View Post
    Look forward to try this out, when its up and running. Will it be a graph based or will it tell you with the + and - rate
    Well, the purpose of the thread was to get ideas. I hadn't intended to present any sort of plot, rather just a "needle" to indicate actual beat-rate and associated error against a target beat-rate...but there has been interest in some sort of a plot from some of the responses, perhaps amplitude vs. time, so I will try to incorporate something like that if I can manage it.

Thanks! I'm waiting for this kind of app for a long time.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information