New to watch collecting need help
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: New to watch collecting need help

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New to watch collecting need help

Hi, I'm new to the world of collectable watches and recently got my first Swiss watch, my Grandpa's Tissot. I'm interested in collecting vintage Swiss watches but as a student don't have the funds for anything crazy, I've seen some very reasonably priced Omega watches such as the 1950's Omega Seamaster 30 for US $600 and an 1980's Omega de Ville for AUD $400 (but cant post the links) and would like any thoughts about reliability, service costs, if they are worth collecting, etc. Also if anyone has any watches they can suggest within the $1000 (AUD) mark, preferably mechanical and Swiss, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Kind regards

Re: New to watch collecting need help

Rule 1. Buy what you like, no body else's opinion matters.

Rule 2. Start with low value watches. By low I mean throw away money. What you consider disposable income and what someone working will consider disposable income will clearly differ, only you can put a figure on this. But if you are collecting, sooner or later you will buy a duff watch. We've all done it. The watch won't work, or something will be non original. A "normal" person wouldn't notice, but as a collector it'll bug you. Expect to make a mistake and as a newbie, don't spend more than you can afford to lose. As you learn you'll gain the confidence and knowledge to spend a little more.

Rule 3. Ask advice here, even if you have to type the URL of the link to the watch letter by letter. No one can guarantee that the watch you buy hasn't got a shady history, but the collective knowledge here will spot some of the watches that do. You'll also learn.

Rule 4. Stay away from the big names initially. Yep, that includes Omega. It's where the demand is, so that's where the fakers and frankenmakers concentrate.

Rule 5. Stay away from India, Mumbai is the world capital of badly redialled junk. Stay away from anywhere with a high humidity (sweat kills watches) and be very cautious of Eastern European sellers.

Rule 6. Expect to have to service everything you buy. Factor the cost in to your purchase price. If the watch works without a service, great, your quids in. Better to have a nice surprise than an expensive one.

Rule 7. Research before purchase. Always. Find a model you like (no, not Ms. Klum) and look at as many pictures on t'internet as you can (OK, perhaps the advice is equally valid for the lovely Heidi.) Learn what the watch should look like. Learn what movement it should have. Learn how much it should cost you.

Rule 8. See rule 7, the hunt is at least as satisfying as capture.

Awesome, thanks. I've seen lots of watches from India and was a bit unsure of them, but I'll definitely steer clear now.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

ever used Chrono24, it seems reputable, should I trust watches on that site more than ebay?

Quote Originally Posted by mattysplatty99 View Post
    ever used Chrono24, it seems reputable, should I trust watches on that site more than ebay?
    Chrono24 is just a marketplace for independent sellers. Unfortunately, in my experience, there is no website or seller that you can blindly trust. I know of sellers that I believe are honest, but even they make mistakes.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Chrono24 have two terms that should have better explanation.

"Trusted Seller": a seller that always promptly pays the fee to be listed as a Trusted Seller.

"Trusted checkout": Chrono24's escrow service. They only make it available to traders. It's an IBAN.

I once had a seller stating that he wouldn't use the Trusted Seller as he would only use IBAN, since trusted checkout is IBAN this was clearly twaddle. I suspect the seller didn't actually own the watch, he was going to purchase it after I gave him money and then ship it on to me. He wasn't able to send a photo of the watch with the hands set to <specify random time>. Either that or Chrono24 didn't want to stand as Escrow for the guy. I walked.

Chrono24 is just an advertising platform for sellers.
    mattysplatty99 likes this.

Tissot is a great start such a good watch at a great price, you could look at Roamer a lot cheaper then Omega and very similar to Tissot they are a few guys on this forum that have great knowledge on these pieces, I am sure one lives in New Zealand so your neck of the woods so may even know trusted sellers. Longines is also another company, Zenith can be found at prices similar to Omega but like any watches you need to research research and research if you need any help don't hesitate to ask for peoples opinions when you do find a watch you like.
    mattysplatty99 likes this.

DON

I would look at vintage Bulova's and Hamilton's. Omegas were nice, but a lot of people bidding the watches up higher than their worth for a majority of them

I bought those 30's 17 years ago for under $100 and certainly wouldn't pay $600 for them now. Fact is. Majority of Omega's I bought I wouldn't pay the current prices for.

Bulova's and Hamiltons for the most part are not as collectable, so prices still low and still getting quality watches

Can also check out Longines. Prices moved up, but not as much as Omega. Just stay away from the Longines automatic models. Never cared for them and over designed compared to other brands

DON

I am still seeing some very nice and well-priced Movado and Certina watches.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-Mov...IAAOSwovNaQFio
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gents-1960s....c100005.m1851
    Shum and mattysplatty99 like this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Banned

1970s 38.5mm. Automatic. Original dial, hands, plexi. Refinished Omega bracelet. Serviced. $345 plus ship. Jurgensgermany.
    Name:  img-2310.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  75.5 KBName:  img-2309.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  84.6 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information