New to watches. Would love help with these old pocket watches I was given!

Thread: New to watches. Would love help with these old pocket watches I was given!

New to watches. Would love help with these old pocket watches I was given!

I am pretty clueless with these and was wondering if any vintage pocket watch enthusiasts might know of any of these. They were old watches in our family, but I cannot find any information on them from the internet. Thanks for any help you might be able to offer me!

Watch 1 ImageShack Album - 4 images (works perfect, but the hands have fallen off/broke)

Watch 2 ImageShack Album - 4 images (works, but missing crown)

Watch 3 ImageShack Album - 4 images (wound it using the gear and it appeared to function, but the hands dont move so something driving them must have failed? I dont know)

Re: New to watches. Would love help with these old pocket watches I was given!

I can't tell you much about them, but they look like good quality watches. The two gold coloured watches are from Waltham (first one) and Elgin (last one). They look like 7-jewel open-face watches, but they ought to be good runners once they've been serviced by a watchmaker.

I can tell you that the Waltham dates to ca. 1903.

I can't read the serial-number on the Elgin, but I THINK it dates to the 1890s.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

elgin serial = 4226244. Shangas, thank you so much for your help. Thats way more than I knew! I really appreciate you taking the time to look for me. Very nice of you!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks.

According to my source, that serial number gives the Elgin a date of 1890.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Hello darkwang,
    To go with the good info Shangas has given you. Your Waltham is a Mdl 1899 , Traveler Grade, 7 jewel 16size pendant set and wind watch, ca:1903. The Elgin is a Grade 73, 18 size 7 jewel ca: 1891, but as always give or take a year or so. The English one I am sorry I do not know.
    Bill

Thread Information