Newb needs some help with pocket watches

Thread: Newb needs some help with pocket watches

Newb needs some help with pocket watches

Hi, I've inherited a couple of pocket watches (and many bits of watches) from my grandfather. There are two that are pretty much complete, one of which works and keeps fairly good time and I'm wondering whether or not it's worth it to have them restored if possible.

I can't find out much about the one that's working but it's a Porte & Markle Ltd WINNIPEG 17 jewel adjusted S/N 4822325 (case A.W.C. Co. S/N 994339)
    The face has some cracking and what looks like a poor repair and the glass falls out

The other is an 1899 model Royal grade A.W.W.Co. S/N 14162207 in a Dennison case, although it has no glass the face looks in perfect condition. I'm not sure what's wrong with the movement but the balance wheel is loose and moves around.

Anyway, any tips or comments about this would be most welcome. I know from looking around that they're not really worth much (even if they were in good condition) but it would be nice to have them in decent order.

Cheers, Stonemonkey.

Re: Newb needs some help with pocket watches

Don't know about the first one. The Royal watch is a nice model. If the balance rocks when you tilt it the balance staff is broken. New can be found or made. With a new crystal and cleaning and staff it may run over $100 Usd.
    Bob

The Waltham Royal dates from 1904. The other watch I'd like to see a picture of the dial and movement to identify it. Porte & Markle were Winnipeg jewelers so it's a private label watch of some sort. The serial number doesn't correspond to Waltham or Elgin though, and those would have been my first guesses. Too high for Hamilton or Hampden.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Well I'm stumped. It does look like a Waltham movement to me. However it doesn't correspond to the Waltham serial number records. According to that it should be a 7 jewel model when it's clearly a 17 jewel one.
    Is it slightly smaller than your Royal watch, or the same size?

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

It's quite a bit smaller but I'm sorry, I can't find anything to measure it with right now but I'll go and have a look. What should I measure, the diameter of the movement where it fits into the case?

I get around 1 7/16 or 36.5mm if that's any help.

EDIT: that was from the back, when I take the front off it's around 1 17/32 or just under 40mm
    Last edited by stonemonkey; February 20th, 2008 at 23:10.

Measuring the size of American pocket watches is pretty tricky. You need to get the diameter of the movement right behind the dial, which is easy if the movement is out of the case, difficult otherwise.
    I think you have a 14S movement in the "mystery" watch. I further believe it is a customized Waltham. The normal Waltham movement was 7 jewels in this model but maybe they made some specially ordered 17 jewel pieces for the jeweler in Winnipeg.
    Perhaps a watchmaker could tell you more. In any event an interesting watch and thanks for posting.

Thread Information