Newbie buying a vintage omega. In desperate need of advice.
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Newbie buying a vintage omega. In desperate need of advice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Newbie buying a vintage omega. In desperate need of advice.

Dear Community,

Hi all, I've been wanting to buy a vintage Omega dress watch say from the late 50s, 60s for a while now (ie. Seamaster De Ville) So far, I am aware of the existence of frankenwatches. My price range is around $800+ and there is definitely tons to select from on the Internet. I just need some advice from all you kind folks so that I do not make a very expensive first mistake.

Some sellers that I've been looking at:

https://www.etsy.com/people/OmegaAdd...rofile_leftnav

Vintage watch for sale - Quality Vintage Timepieces - Vintage watches for sale

Also, what are some of the factors to look out for when buying a vintage Omega watch.

Thanks in advance!

Cordially,
    BC

Re: Newbie buying a vintage omega. In desperate need of advice.

Hi and welcome
    Personally, my only experience is eBay, and I like it a lot.
    If you pay by payPal you have 100% buyer protection.

Posts some watches you like, and we can verify any issues prior to you bidding
    Good luck
    adam
    busmatt likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

OK, I don't know how about the second source you've listed, but as for the first one- the OmegaAddictStore(eBay) and simply OmegaAddict (etsy), I think I can comment on that. He seems to sell a mix of rather nicely restored Omegas, both with original dials and repainted ones. Not that his redials are bad- on the contrary, I think they're very accurate, with the fonts almost always being correct- but they are heavily overpriced. I don't think that any redialled Omega could possibly be worth the money he sells them for. Moreover, after redialling he doesn't keep the original hands, but almost always they are generic replacements. He describes it all in the listing, so I'd give him a credit for honesty...or would I? Yeees, he does give the serial number of the movement, the reference number of the case... But I really would like to see that in pictures- his movement pictures are almost always taken at an angle which makes it bloody hard to find the serial number on your own, and almost impossible to determine whether the colour of plating is even throughout the movement.
    To sum it up- vintage Omegas are a minefield. I think this is one of the phrases that continuously appear here on this forum, but that's just because it's simply too right.
    Original dial paint used by Omega was easily destroyed if water got into the case, and that's the primary reason for the quantity of redials out there.
    As to what I was talking about before- these watches do look lovely, yes they look shiny and brand new, but a redial for over a thousand bucks? Sorry. No. Just no.
    busmatt and doggbiter like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Just a general note here. I fully understand your excitement to get started in vintage, but stop being desperate. I've been there, and it always ends up in spending too much money or making an expensive mistake.

Omega is one of the most faked or "assembled from various sources" watches out there, so it is a bog easily stepped into. I applaud your effort in asking for help, you are definitely on the right track.

That said, there are several really good folks here that have deep knowledge about Omega. Find what speaks to you, and post here with some examples. Research is your best friend. You will soon know what to look for in the model(s) you're after. We'll always be happy to provide either off-the cuff opinions, or qualified facts about a specific model or movement. The aim is usually to help steer you to an informed decision. We're an eclectic bunch, that's for sure.

Welcome to the forum!
    ~D
    busmatt likes this.
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Most of my Omega collection has come from eBay and I've done pretty well, to my mind anyway, the key is RESEARCH, know your subject and be patient

Good luck

Matt

Brought to you by HYPNOTOAD
    mkws likes this.
    " I can't wear this uniform, without some compromises "
    Chesney Hawkes

"I larf, I Larf, I wee I pants, I make I leg go rusty."
    ​Me

Modern Omega are surely heavily faked, vintage Omegas tend to be re-dialled or marriage watches.
    both not pleasant to end up with
    busmatt and josh.d.deacon like this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    Adam

Ah thank you so much guys. That was much appreciated.

Some of the watches that I am interested in:
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/2389316...home_active_21

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1954-ATTRACT...item3cfe81ee2e

1956 Outstanding Omega Seamaster Automatic Cleaned Oiled Watch N Save | eBay

1961 Outstanding Omega Seamaster Pre de Ville Cleaned Oiled Watch N Save | eBay

The movement from the second link (eBay) seems to match the watch after searching the Omega Database.

Here are my assessment of the above watches:

1. Only original dial of the bunch, but modern crown in the wrong shade of gold. Very pedestrian engraving on the back will hurt resale value. Very expensive.

2. Decent redial, but overpriced.

3. Overpriced and incorrect redial.

4. See 3. above.

gatorcpa

Quote Originally Posted by gatorcpa View Post

1. Only original dial of the bunch, but modern crown in the wrong shade of gold. Very pedestrian engraving on the back will hurt resale value. Very expensive.

4. See 3. above.

gatorcpa
    Nothing to add to that perfect assessment
    busmatt likes this.

and
    Adam

Thank you so much for the assessment! I'm definitely learning to notice more stuff now.
    I have a question about the third watch though: What makes it an incorrect re-dial?

Also on the third watch, when referring to the caseback, which number do you search for on the Omega Database (2846 or 2848)? This kind of throws me off cause I've seen some seamasters with the reference (ie. 160.008)

So I did a search on both numbers and both calibers listed are either 17 or 19 jewels. The photograph of the movement of the watch on eBay says that its 20 jewels. Does this mean that this a Frankenwatch?

Quote Originally Posted by gatorcpa View Post

4. See 3. above.

gatorcpa

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information