Newbie saying hello and sharing the tiny collection

Thread: Newbie saying hello and sharing the tiny collection

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Newbie saying hello and sharing the tiny collection

Hello everyone!

I am new to this board, I lived in Europe on several places and am now in the US in Utah.

Well I always loved watches and plan on starting a real collection.
    The ones I own by now I got from my grandfather and it's an Omega and Rodania. Both I have not much information about but maybe someone of you has. They still work fine but need some good cleaning I guess.

Well nice to meet everyone.

Eric
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Newbie saying hello and sharing the tiny collection

Hi Eric welcome to the forum, two great vintage pieces you have esp omega. So are you sticking with vintage watches or are you also going to buy a few new watches. We all started with a small collection. Hope you have had some good reads in here. It can be a bit slow at times but people do respond in the end to post, so please post any questions you have about watches.

Welcome Eric, you have a flying start and your grandfather must have pretty good taste too. If they have not been serviced for a while, it's an idea to do it, to wipe the slate clean so to speak, then you can have the assurance that they are going to keep running properly for a number of years afterwards.

Rodania is an interesting, and a popular brand in the Benelux countries. It has changed hands several times, as far as I know it is back in the hands of the founder's family. The current collection seems to be somewhat polarized, with higher-end ones and admittedly rather low-end ones too, and they seem not to be able to give support to owners of their earlier products; I have a Rodania diver from the 70s, I think, and still hoping to find its missing bezel. A respectable good maker - at least in the vintage era, some of their earlier watches were COSC certified as well.

Before embarking on acquiring, it would be an idea to figure out your field of interest too. If you like the two watches you have, you might wish to concentrate on the Omega and Rodania marques. To a novice, Omega can be a bit tricky: because it is a desirable brand, that induces unscrupulous types to offer very questionable examples. If I were in your admittedly enviable position of starting out, and like the Rodania, it might be an appealing idea to concentrate on the marque: a somewhat less high-profile marque would not only keep your expenditure down to an agreeable level, but also less likely to end up with questionable pieces too; it might not be a terribly profitable thing to do by faking Rodanias, after all.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Welcome! Looks like a real collection to me. Don't worry about the number of pieces, it magically increases with time...
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Welcome. Two nice looking watches you have. I started with couple myself...

Don't worry about the number of pieces, it magically increases with time...
    Oh...Only too true.

Welcome..

Welcome. Nice couple of watches to start with. I think we all may have just started with one or two. Don't worry, it won't be long and you'll have many many more. They somehow keep magically appearing one after another. Might start now thinking about multiple watch storage! LOL. Really. :)
    Dave
    Hi, my name is Dave, and I'm a Chronoholic. It's been almost a XXXX day since my last chrono buy. I'm still going through DTs, and I'm not sure how much longer I can hold out.

Welcome to the forum...nice start to a collection. A vintage Omega was one of my first pieces...little did I know it ended up being a "gateway drug".

Thank you for the welcoming answers everyone.
    Right, the Rodania comes from the BENELUX, exactly it was bought in Luxembourg. Same for the Omega but those are more international of course. I rarely see Rodanias.

Yes I would love to have some more watches, old ones, maybe a new one but that's a question of the money for now. I bought a new car a few months ago as it was more needed ;) So if a new one than something more affordable but good quality and classy.

I also have several old to new Swatch watches, Relic and Wenger that I wear like for work or sports.

As my grandpa passed away, nobody can remember the exact year of the Omega watch? What could it be? Also, should I have them serviced and cleaned?

Eric,

If the exchequer is a little tight for now, it's actually a good incentive to read up and learn as much as you can, without feeling the urge to acquire before knowing enough.

If Rodania is to your taste then the fun would be to hunt them down; I find it more fun to do the hunting, and more often than not, once I have tracked one down, I do not pull the trigger as it might be anticlimatic!

Still, I would wholeheartedly recommend you to get the watches serviced, they might be working well today but if they suddenly grind to a halt, then the repair bill would not be something you'd like too much.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information