Newly-Acquired Elgin Pocket Watch

Thread: Newly-Acquired Elgin Pocket Watch

Newly-Acquired Elgin Pocket Watch

I bought this watch at a gun show over the weekend. It is an Elgin, seller said it was made in 1906. I don't know anything about it as I am a (perhaps overly-) enthusiastic fledgling wannabe-collector. What can you wiser ones tell me about this watch? I know we don't do valuations here, BUT...did I do OK at $130?

Thanks,
    Boge Quinn

Re: Newly-Acquired Elgin Pocket Watch

Going on a watch buying frenzy,eh! Go to Elginwatches.org and punch in your s/n and all sorts of info will pop-up. Your watch seems to be a 17 jewel, size 18 watch of good quality. Get it cleaned if you want to run it.

Grade 336 18S 17J Elgin made 1906. A conservative businessman's style of watch. Gold filled case.
    I'd say the price was fair but you'll need to spend another equivalent amount to get it cleaned and lubricated probably. Nice start to a collection and a great company to collect.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Nice start on your collecting and like every one else said get them cleaned and oiled before you use them I got a Hamilton once and I should of known better I wound it up and there went the main spring lucky no damage except for the main spring so if I don't know the history of the watch I get it cleaned and oiled.

Thanks, guys!

Thread Information