Nice Little Buren

Thread: Nice Little Buren

Nice Little Buren

Picked this up for £20 at a general antique auction - part of a lot so pretty pleased.

Missing a minute hand and glass the dial is actually in very good condition as is the scalloped case. The case is marked LA and numbered.

Quite surprised when I opened it to find it had a nice Buren signed 15j movement which hand sets, winds and runs very well.
    Just need to give it a clean, get a replacement hand/s and glass - find a nice little strap and this will be a nice addition to my growing collection.

Re: Nice Little Buren

Awesome! Well bought. Is the case solid gold?
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Nice catch
    Clean and nice movement...how big is the watch?

igorfiume

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Don't have a gold tester (hope to get one soon) so unknown gold standard unfortunately though I'm sure I'll find out.

As to watch size it is 25mm diameter, so I assume a ladies watch.

You shouldn't need a gold tester...post a nice clear picture of the inside of the case back; there looks to be hallmarks there that should tell us the fineness, date of hallmarking and maker.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    You shouldn't need a gold tester...post a nice clear picture of the inside of the case back; there looks to be hallmarks there that should tell us the fineness, date of hallmarking and maker.
    Unfortunately very difficult - as the marks are very poorly stampd in the first place and the interior has a few scratches.
    The best I can do are these - and believe me I have tried in every light possible. The interior even with the scratches is highly polished reflective.
    The Case maker LA and number are OK. The other marks are pretty
    indecipherable to me - and these about as good as I can get out of a lot of pics.

Nasty. The partial mark on the right looks like a animal head, which could be the mark for the london assay office. There are some techniques which will let the marks be seen more clearly, but they require specialized equipment (I think an ultraviolet lens and lightsource can help).
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    Nasty. The partial mark on the right looks like a animal head, which could be the mark for the london assay office. There are some techniques which will let the marks be seen more clearly, but they require specialized equipment (I think an ultraviolet lens and lightsource can help).
    Had another go with some very strong light and angled shots - we think that it is a London Assay mark and there is also the right side of what looks like a UK gold standard, BUT we can only guess at the last number which does fit with the number 5.
    So not much further forward - could be .375 or .585, but most probably the former at 9ct.

But I've got a bit of work to do anyway - new glass, hands, clean and overhaul and maybe see my local watch maker - get him to check the carat!

Thread Information