Nice result from a bulk lot...

Thread: Nice result from a bulk lot...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Nice result from a bulk lot...

Nothing I love more than a cheap bulk lot of watches that turns out good. The following sold for spares or repair, I paid about US$40. Vendor's photo and description...

parts or repair gents
    olma cal 1700-01 auto
    enica cal AR1145 auto
    hafis cal AS 1187/94
    bulova cal ?64 auto
    old watches

So they came today, what did I get? 3 Autos, 1 manual, 2 working, 2 not.

1965 Bulova - I am not particularly keen on the styling of this one, but it has a very nice B on its rotor to redeem it. 33mm case. Working.

Dial on the Auto Enicar is good under that crystal, 35mm. Working.

Nice caseback and OK movement:

Great dial on this manual 33mm Hafis. I like these short second watches. Not working, balance good - seems to be a winder alignment issue. I accidentally deleted the movement shot

The pick of the litter is this early 60s? OLMA Caravelle (not working, balance is fine, 25 jewel movement in good condition) 35mm with bombe lugs minor lug brassing. Dial is perfect, seems they are still making the OLMA Caravelle range.

It is a polerouter look-a-like like my Hafis (which as chance would have it, I am wearing today). I thought from the vendor photo that this was another Hafis, and I hoped to use it as a case donor, but it is worth keeping in its own right.

Here they are next to each other, a better photo of the Hafis:

Nice caseback

Best of all, it is a super-compressor, crown and back. Score

I think this was a pretty good result over all. They all need a little TLC, but I think none of them will need much attention at all.

I am quite pleased with all four of my $10 watches
    Last edited by trim; November 12th, 2010 at 00:38.

Re: Nice result from a bulk lot...

You've done well with these little job lots

Certainly a few nice little watches in there with, so look forward to the finished results

Well done sir!

These gambles can, of course, be very disappointing. But when they turn out well - very satisfying.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks guys. Yes, bad lots happen. Worth the risk imo though as I have only had one bad lot (nothing of value and complete junk ).

The Olma has polished up wonderfully, I haven't serviced it yet - but I am feeling more motivated

That is fluff under the dial, not scratches.

Even nicer in close-up. A very 'warm' feel to that watch.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Banned

You guys will get a kick out of this - the Olma is a homage watch! Here's the UG I bet it was patterned after:

You done good. Enjoy!!

Well done with the sprucing up so far and I will be interested to hear the extent of repair needed to get it back in working order. I actually bid on one of those Olma Caravelles recently but unfortunately didn't win. I had a feeling it was a very nice looking piece despite the seller's photos and your pics prove me correct.
    I know nothing except the fact of my own ignorance. Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post
    Here's the UG I bet it was patterned after: <snip>
    Yes that is the one ulackfocus - although not sure homage is the right term, as they would have been roughly contemporary. Rip-off perhaps

That said, the Olma is a bit less similar than my Hafis which is so close I occasionally wonder if the same manufacturer made the case and chapter ring. The Hafis also has a shield in the same place, and is very deceptive from any kind of distance...

The nice thing about the Olma Caravelle is of course that it is a super compressor - so it is doing its own thing to some extent. I am going to have to buy one of that style of UG now - as I have the Hafis and Olma, and I really ought have the original (I guess it was first) or most famous certainly.

Quote Originally Posted by vinylgreek View Post
    Well done with the sprucing up so far and I will be interested to hear the extent of repair needed to get it back in working order. I actually bid on one of those Olma Caravelles recently but unfortunately didn't win. I had a feeling it was a very nice looking piece despite the seller's photos and your pics prove me correct.
    Thanks, I really like this one - it is going to queue jump a bit for repairs. I see JimH has a wonderful one. These are nicer than I imagined, and I would in hindsight have happily paid more. I think I will be keeping an eye out in the future...
    Last edited by trim; November 14th, 2010 at 03:25.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    the Olma is a bit less similar than my Hafis which is so close I occasionally wonder if the same manufacturer made the case and chapter ring. The Hafis also has a shield in the same place, and is very deceptive from any kind of distance...
    The dial of the Hafis is definitely more like the UG, but the lugs of the Olma have the same twist. Without a doubt, they both took styling cues from the Polerouter. Both are damn nice whatever you call them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information