Nice Wakmann
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Nice Wakmann

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Nice Wakmann

Here is my latest new-to-me watch. A stunning Wakmann with a Valjoux 7733 movement.

Name:  wakmann1.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  166.4 KB

Name:  wakmann2.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  173.2 KB

The watch looks great but has some rust on the inside. Rather than send the watch back, I decided to keep it, but right now I can't get the dial off due to a rusty screw. I put a very high-grade penetrating oil on the screw and think in a week or so I will try to get the dial off and see how much damage is under it. The watch runs great and functions properly so I am hoping the rust is just on the setting gears, and I can clean them off.

Cheers,
    Ron
    huntershooter likes this.

Re: Nice Wakmann

Great looking watch.

Good luck with the rusty screw - I have something soaking as well.Name:  triste.gif
Views: 685
Size:  378 Bytes
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Hi Ron,

Are you sure it is 'rusty screws' stopping the dial coming off???

From the pics and description, I would have assumed the dial has been refinished. The 'black' looks very glossy... plus it looks like the black is applied to the side of the battens/numerals... The black around the sub dials look a little wonky... I would assume the finish has been applied up to the original sub dials.

Also, if the movement shows that level of rust, i would be shocked to see such a perfect looking dial?

If im right, I dial may have been fixed in a different way to the 'rusty screws'....

As you say... it does look stunning.... and I hope im wrong and just being overly cautious!

Cheers,

Marc

Edit - looking again... see how the 'black' around the left sub dial hits and stops on the underside of '10' numeral..... on the right, the black passed between the '2' and top of the sub dial... I fear I may be right on the 'redial'
    Last edited by Sparcster; April 12th, 2012 at 10:17.
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The numbers and markers on the dial are raised, the black enamel is lower than the numbers and just comes up to the bottoms of them, but you raise a good point. I thought this was a re-dial but then looked at the "WAKMANN" logo. The serifs on the font look pretty sharp. Also I was looking at the aged lume dots on the dial that match the color in the hands. After applying light to the dial and hands, they only glow a little.

Then I found this one that was on Ebay at the same time:
    Name:  tetra.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  225.2 KB

It is the exact same watch!!!! Only difference is the name on the dial. I really didn't know what to think but have come to the conclusion that both watches could be original. I mean, Wakmann was a store not a watch company, right? Who's to say where their watches came from. BTW, both of these watches have France on the dial, movement, and inside back.

One minute after I posted the Tetra watch I found this:
    Name:  northstar.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  158.7 KB
    This one doesn't have the same hands as the other two.. BTW.. 3 different sellers on these. At this point I am glad I got mine at a good price! Maybe all I got was a Valjoux 7733.

All thoughts on this are welcome.
    Ron
    Last edited by RonD.; April 13th, 2012 at 02:10.

Lots of folks encased 7733s and they all tend to look the same. You note my LeJour below has the same case as the North Star you pictured. But the LeJour actually contains the Venus movement the 7733 was patterned after.

Name:  LeJourVenus.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  141.6 KB
    redcow likes this.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Hi Ron,

like I said 'As you say... it does look stunning.... and I hope im wrong and just being overly cautious!'....

Still hope I am wrong!

I think my experience of 'rusty' movements and perfect looking dials normally ends badly.

But as you have the watch in hand... you are the best person to comment!

Marc
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Hello
    Obviously my first post. Recently I have started getting the bug to acquire vintage watches, plenty for another topic.

Then I remembered a fantastic gift given to me as a child I want to say about 40 years ago.
    Here it is pictured here. I will be able to post better pictures later, the back is inscribed

ALL STEEL
    20 ATU
    SWISS MADE
    314 12

If I understand 20 ATU, I am guessing 20 atmospheres, which I find amazing more like unbelievable, if that is correct.

It is sitting right now at another home so I do not have access to it at the moment.

As you can see it was well used, almost beaten maybe a better description, by someone (ME) who enjoyed wearing a massive watch on his very small wrist, riding and crashing bicycles and motorcycles.

I do know it can be wound and will run, not sure about how good it keeps time. I remember the buttons were having problems.

These questions pertain to me potentially looking to get this back into a state that I would not be too embarrassed to wear, for purely sentimental reasons.

Questions

Does this forum know someone that would be able and willing to take a look at this and give some idea of ability to repair to working condition and maybe even a resorted condition. Working condition would mean to me to make it run, not so much worrying about appearance. I fully expect parts are not likely available so restored would mean taking the watch appearance from beaten to something less than beaten.

Appreciate any thoughts that can be shared.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by msigill; May 28th, 2012 at 19:30. Reason: Added pics
    redcow likes this.

Congratulations. A quiet company which has never produced an ugly watch that I have seen. Yours is a beauty.

Name:  Wakmann refresh.JPG
Views: 533
Size:  139.6 KB
    Here is an updated picture of my Wakmann after having it serviced. Service items included a new crystal, case cleaned and polished, new pushers, new crown, new band. Runs great and the buttons function. Only item not looking great is that beat up bezel. We were not able to find a replacement and not sure if the chunk of metal missing near 35 could ever be repaired and refinished. Even so still love it.

The crystal that was returned was so beat up and hazy it amazes me that I was able to get the pictures of the dial that I did in the earlier pre-repair photos that I posted back in May.

RonD, is the watch sourced from South America by any chance?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information