Nicolet Watch (but which caliber is that?)

Thread: Nicolet Watch (but which caliber is that?)

Confused Nicolet Watch (but which caliber is that?)

Hello everyone!
    This one is my very first post on this forum, but i have to admit that i was reading you since some months trying to learn more about old vintage calibers and watches.
    I want to show you one piece of my very small collection of vintage wirst watches and i would like to recive some informations about the caliber that is mounted inside.
    The watch is a Nicolet Watch, it was owned by my grandfather and it's still working perfectly (except for the chrono because my father lost the small button, years ago, and replaced it with a small gold piece).
    I did some research, and i found that the caliber is probably a Landeron, but wich one?
    I compared my caliber with all the Landeron that i found on the internet, but none seems to be the same like mine...In fact the only one similar is simply called Landeron / Hahn, but has one small piece less than mine (or at least that's what it looks like on the left image ).
    I hope that some of you could give me more information about it.
    Best reguards. Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Nicolet Watch (but which caliber is that?)

Hello Nick, welcome to WUS, nice timepiece you have. It looks like a Landeron 11 or 13 but not sure, a dial shot would be also useful.Also, how big is the watch, diameter without crown?

This looks similar:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Landeron 11

You can use the search spec in that site for the caliber names you know and check all specs:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke

Also the movement identifying page is very useful:

bidfun, Extended Search, Archive: Movements enter the specs and surf through, its a great ref site.

As for the pusher, you can find one easily on bay. There are many vintage case parts sellers online.

Thanks to Dr. Ranfft for this great website. This time I dont mix Richter and Ranfft :)

And this is bonus, how Nicolet was advertised in 1946
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Emre; September 14th, 2012 at 21:47.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I think that the Cals. 11 and 13 are slightly different to ours. I think the closest you will get is your own estimate of a Cal. 29. Definitely a Landeron movement, judging by your picture.

Nice watch! What does the dial look like?

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you both for the answers!
    I was checking all Landeron calibers on the link that you gave me, but none of them is like mine...Is it possible that maybe there are more Landeron that on the website are not displayed? Maybe mine it's older than the calibers on ranfft.de...so my new question is....how old can it be?

By the way i'm going to upload 2 new photos of the dial, one with a tape measure (if i did it good, the dimension should be 3.8/3.9 cm)
    I really love the dial, it really look nice that's why i'm wearing this watch often. The stripe is still the original one, made of crocodile leather, but it's really tiny and i'm always worried that it will destroy.
    Name:  IMG_4390 2.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  944.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_4395 2.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  328.0 KB

You are quite right - there are rather more Landeron calibres than on Ranfft' Pink Pages. Dr. Ranfft only shows the calibres that have passed through his hands and which he has had a chance to photograph. And the vast number of movements in the collection (even accounting for double postings) shows that a large number of different movements have passed through his hands. I don't know where we would be without this database.....

The dial of your watch looks rather nice. If you are worried about the strap, I'd have a new one put on but would preserve the old one rather than trashing it.

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    You are quite right - there are rather more Landeron calibres than on Ranfft' Pink Pages. Dr. Ranfft only shows the calibres that have passed through his hands and which he has had a chance to photograph. And the vast number of movements in the collection (even accounting for double postings) shows that a large number of different movements have passed through his hands. I don't know where we would be without this database.....

The dial of your watch looks rather nice. If you are worried about the strap, I'd have a new one put on but would preserve the old one rather than trashing it.

Hartmut Richter
    I agree, the pink pages are a real treasure for us!!
    Here i can share with you another link that i found today while searching for one caliber similar to mine: Kaliber
    Maybe you already know it, but if you don't i'm happy to give just a small contribute :)

About the stripe i will keep it for sure, either because it's nice and it makes more vintage the watch when i'm wearing it, either because it's the original from the 30's/40's, so i consider it a piece of history as much as the watch.
    I just have to find another one with the same color of the leather, from the picture is difficult to see but it's a really nice brown with a red reflex...it really look good with the golden case of the watch ;)

No, I certainly didn't know that page. And it looks like more than just a "small contribute"! I bookmarked it instantly - thanks for sharing!!

Hartmut Richter

Then i'm really glad to be helpful!!
    I don't remember how i found it, but i think it's really well done and some calibers are missing on the pink one (unfortunatly there are not the technical specifications about them).

Last question: the watch is running good, only the charge is not lasting as long as other watches, so do you think it's necessary to take it for a full review?
    I'm asking because i wanna take another watch that i will show here on the forum soon, and as student i can't afford a work on them both....so if you think that the charge problem can be normal, i will continue to wear it taking obviously some precautions.

If the watch hasn't been serviced, I would seriously advise you to get that done before wearing it on even an intermittent basis. The extra friction in the system will certainly reduce the power reserve and there may already be slight damage to the mainspring which could cause the low reserve. Plus without the service, other things can go bust.

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information