Nivada Antarctic
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Nivada Antarctic

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Nivada Antarctic

I've just received my first Nivada, it's an Antarctic model and from a quick inspection I'm impressed,

Name:  IMG_1441_zpsu9fq5ojk.jpg
Views: 1570
Size:  154.5 KB

I've compared it to my Omegas of similar age and it's on a par with them, but upon doing a little research I've found out the watches history is coolNivada Antarctic Archives - Grail Watch, it was compared at the time with the Rolex Explorer and the JLC Geophysic, two very impressive watches. I could never see myself getting either of them for the price I paid for this

Anyone else got any Nivada's tucked away?

Matt
    " I can't wear this uniform, without some compromises "
    Chesney Hawkes

"I larf, I Larf, I wee I pants, I make I leg go rusty."
    ​Me

Re: Nivada Antarctic

Nice watch indeed. Congrats

This is my Antarctic

busmatt, James A and bobbee like this.

Quote Originally Posted by busmatt View Post
    I've just received my first Nivada, it's an Antarctic model and from a quick inspection I'm impressed,

Name:  IMG_1441_zpsu9fq5ojk.jpg
Views: 1570
Size:  154.5 KB

I've compared it to my Omegas of similar age and it's on a par with them, but upon doing a little research I've found out the watches history is coolNivada Antarctic Archives - Grail Watch, it was compared at the time with the Rolex Explorer and the JLC Geophysic, two very impressive watches. I could never see myself getting either of them for the price I paid for this

Anyone else got any Nivada's tucked away?

Matt
    Got one :) https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/cro...n-1089866.html
    Really nice pieces
    busmatt likes this.
    Chaos is my focus

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the link. I think that article is a very solid, simple piece offering introductory information regarding the respectability and legitimacy of Nivada watches.

As I collect only divers, I have enjoyed buying, restoring and learning about Nivada's Antartic series-- which includes some really groovy GMT models, their Taravana watches which extends into chronos, and GLX divers that are highly ruggedized. And of course their depth meter compressors. All have been super, attractive, technical and fine underwater timepieces in my very humble opinion.

Nivada's development and use of the word "compensamatic" is a great story (as the legend goes), and although more of a marketing campaign, does speak to great the watch-making technology that put them up there with the top couple of companies producing watches through the 50's & 60's. I highly recommend the brief research.

Today I have only 3 left, 2 housing v72 movements and 1 (the dual register chrono) with a v23. All of these movements are Nivada signed and gold plated.

Name:  1-IMG_20150607_072655_443.jpg
Views: 1154
Size:  82.7 KB
    Name:  1-IMG_20141014_145227_632.jpg
Views: 1155
Size:  115.0 KB
    Name:  1-IMG_20141011_134643_850.jpg
Views: 1162
Size:  129.3 KB
    Last edited by Thunderdaddy; August 4th, 2015 at 15:39.
    busmatt, bobbee, James A and 2 others like this.

Nice watches everyone, 'scuse me for being dim but can you post a link to the interesting story behind the Compensamatic? as I can't seem to find it. I think I've broken my Google.

Matt
    Chesney Hawkes

​Me

Brief version:

1941-CROTON-COMPENSAMATIC-COMPENSATING-MILITARY-RADIUM-WATCH

IN 1938 THE BRITISH NOTIFIED THE SWISS WATCH INDUSTRY THAT THEY WERE BUYING WRIST WATCHES; THAT NO TESTING WAS NECESSARY. THEY HAD A SIMPLE FACT SHEET. A COMPANIES ONLY REQUIREMENT WERE PRETTY SIMPLE, SUCH AS 15 JEWELS, WATER PROOF, AND A FEW OTHER SIMPLE CRITERIA. CROTON WANTED TO PARTICIPATE.
    CROTON DECIDED TO BUILD A COMPLETELY SEALED SINGLE CASE SYSTEM WRIST WATCH AS A CANDIDATE FOR MILITARY USE. THE PROBLEM THAT CROTON FACED WAS THE WYLER COMPANY.
    WYLER HELD PATENTS ON THE BEST WATER PROOF CASE DESIGN. THEIR WYLER SINGLE CASED, CRYSTAL SEALED, TWO PART STEM CASE SYSTEM WAS THE BEST IN THE WORLD. BETTER THEN ROLEX. IN FACT, THEIR CASE SYSTEM WOULD DOMINATE THE WORLD UNTIL THE END OF THE MECHANICAL WATCH ERA IN THE LATE 1970'S.
    CROTON WENT TO WORK DEVISING AND DESIGNING A CASING SYSTEM THAT WOULD COMPETE WITH WYLER AND MOST OF THE STEEL SCREW BACK DESIGNS.
    CROTON CHOSE A SINGLE STEEL CASE IN WHICH THE MOVEMENT WAS FIT.
    THEY THEN SEALED THE MOVEMENT BY PLACING A RUBBER SEAL ON THE CASE TOP LEDGES, AND OVER THE SEAL, A "TOP HAT" CRYSTAL. THEY THEN INCORPORATED THE WYLER TWO PIECE STEM SYSTEM.
    THEN TO KEEP IT UNIQUE, THEY BUILT A STEEL BEZEL[ WITH LUGS] THAT FIT OVER THE CRYSTAL AND THE CASE.
    THEY THEN DRILLED AND THREADED EACH LUG, WHERE THEY UTILIZED HEADLESS SCREWS TO PUSH THE CASE UP AND INTO THE BEZEL.
    THE PRESSURE WOULD COMPRESS THE SEAL BETWEEN THE CASE AND THE BEZEL.
    THEY THEN ADDED A "COMPENSATING" MOVEMENT AND CALLED THEIR "TECHNOLOGY" "COMPENSAMATIC".
    "COMPENSAMATIC" WAS NOT A THING, AN ACT OR A SYSTEM, OR EVEN A TECHNOLOGY, IT WAS A WORD: A TRADE MARK THAT REPRESENTED THE "TECHNOLOGY" THAT WAS "CROTON"/"NIVADA".
    CROTON NEVER ACHIEVED GREAT SUCCESS SELLING MILITARIES WATCHES AS COMPARED TO BULOVA, PHENIX, OMEGA AND HUNDREDS OF OTHERS. BUT SOON THE NAMES "CROTON" + "NIVADA" WOULD DOMINATE A NEW MARKET. THAT OF THE SCIENTIFIC AND DIVING WORLD.
    NIVADA AND CROTON WOULD BE AS ONE AND COMPENSAMATIC WOULD BE TRADEMARKED IN THE USA IN 1956 BY NIVADA.
    COMPENSAMATIC WOULD BECOME KNOW WORLD OVER AS NIVADA AND CROTON BUILT SOME OF THE MOST ADVANCED WATCHES IN THE WORLD.
    CROTON/NIVADA CHRONOGRAPHS, DIVE WATCHES, AND THE FAMOUS ANTARCTIC WATCHES HELPED MAKE THE WORD COMPENSAMATIC FAMOUS.
    busmatt and bobbee like this.

Cool read, Thanks

Matt
    Chesney Hawkes

​Me

The term 'compensamatic' has been well explained above, but that's not a thrilling story, more a commercial thing, a simple trademark.

The interesting part of the history comes in connection with the name 'Antarctic'. There was an Exploration of the South Pole in the 1950ies and each of the members of the American team wore an automatic, waterproof compensatic Nivada watch, especially built for these Antarctic conditions. The idea was then born to come to the general market with an Nivada Antarctic series, which went on for about 20 years to come. Several explorations under the name 'Deep Freeze' followed, with the goal to establish bases for the Navy in the area and an airfield (William Air Operations Facility).

Nivada had disappered from the market and was reborn as a brand name in Mexico (Grupo Salinas).
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; August 4th, 2015 at 18:08.
    busmatt likes this.

I almost forgot: If this is your first Nivada, you still have a long way to go. An absolute must is the Nivada 'depthomatic', not a mickey mouse diver, but a watch withstanding water pressure up to 1000 (!) meters. I think these watches, in the genereral market, had then only been guaranteed up to 200 or 300 meters. But you also need to have the Rollamatic, the Reglavit, the Alertamatic and the Ultramatic to be complete. Skip the late Mexican models (year 2000 I guess and after). There was also a temporary Korean production of Nivadas from 1985 - 2000, which you can also leave out under the aspect of vintage.

It's up to you if you also want to go after a 'Wanderer'. Due to a close relationship to Phenix/MSR they sold the Vulcain Cricket alarm watch under their own brand name. In any case, don't stop half way!

I have to admit, I could have made my elaborate a lot shorter by simply providing this link:

http://www.watch-wiki.net/index.php?title=Nivada
    busmatt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Border-Reiver View Post
    I almost forgot: If this is your first Nivada, you still have a long way to go. An absolute must is the Nivada 'depthomatic', not a mickey mouse diver, but a watch withstanding water pressure up to 1000 (!) meters. I think these watches, in the genereral market, had then only been guaranteed up to 200 or 300 meters. But you also need to have the Rollamatic, the Reglavit, the Alertamatic and the Ultramatic to be complete. Skip the late Mexican models (year 2000 I guess and after). There was also a temporary Korean production of Nivadas from 1985 - 2000, which you can also leave out under the aspect of vintage.

It's up to you if you also want to go after a 'Wanderer'. Due to a close relationship to Phenix/MSR they sold the Vulcain Cricket alarm watch under their own brand name. In any case, don't stop half way!

I have to admit, I could have made my elaborate a lot shorter by simply providing this link:

Nivada - Watch Wiki, The Best Watches And Watch Brands
    And the enabling begins... LOL
    busmatt and rkamarowski like this.

Tony Lewis
    New Zealand

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information