Nivada Antarctic GMT- Production numbers?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Squale1000

Thread: Nivada Antarctic GMT- Production numbers?

Nivada Antarctic GMT- Production numbers?

Hello all,

I recently purchased a Nivada Antarctic GMT for my significant other (as well as myself). The *original* Nivada Antarctic chronometers were worn in Operation Deep Freeze I, but the GMT version is a super weird watch made made about a decade later with no concrete relation to Deep Freeze. Based on my extensive research (read: cruising Google and hoping something of value was listed as a hit), it uses the same base movement, module, and case as the Enicar Sherpa-Jet. Additionally, it isn't a "true GMT" in the sense that a Rolex GMT-Master is; to my knowledge (I didn't want to try and break my new watch) the 24-hour GMT hand cannot be set independently of the 12-hour hand as the stem only has one setting position. Due to this, GMT is set by moving a rotating 24 hour bezel so the current time zone (UTC +/- X) is in the 12 o'clock position.

I'm clueless as to the production numbers of this watch. It appears to be rather uncommon- there are very few Google Image results of the watch, and they appear to be of the same 2 watches, one of the two being the watch I purchased. As is usually the case, it's been all but impossible to find any actual numeric values. Any information regarding production or anything else about this watch would be greatly appreciated!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160304_202258340_HDR.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	838.0 KB 
ID:	7314666Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160304_202258340_HDR.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	838.0 KB 
ID:	7314666
    aero-engineer likes this.

Re: Nivada Antarctic GMT- Production numbers?

Nice model. Unfortunately, you aren't at all likely to be able to find production numbers.

As you have already surmised, it is a fairly uncommon model, and so it is reasonable to assume that the production run was relatively low.

I own few Antarctics, including an uncommon Antarctic Diver, and like the model line quite a bit.
    Last edited by Tony C.; March 5th, 2016 at 13:30.

Re: Nivada Antarctic GMT- Production numbers?

Your Antarctic looks great – I especially like that red/black hand!

I have become very keen on 60s/70s Nivadas in the last few months and find it frustrating that there seems to be so little information about the brand and models. I have started to build databases on the Leonardo da Vinci, Antarctic, Chronograph and Automatic models. At this stage I’m afraid that I have relatively small amounts of data and can’t help with your query concerning production numbers.

Nivada made GMT versions of the Chronograph and Leonardo models – all super from my viewpoint, but not as characterful as your Antarctic.

Thread Information