Nivada coming home soon
Like Tree10Likes
  • 8 Post By jmanlay
  • 1 Post By jmanlay
  • 1 Post By Dan S

Thread: Nivada coming home soon

Nivada coming home soon

Bought a Nivada Grenchen chrono on a whim, of course to be told it ran fine.
    Well putting it on my time grapher painted a different story since it was running over 300s fast /day. Sure it was serviced recently.........not
    I have basically given up on trusting people saying watches are being serviced (happened to me 3 times already) so now I basically account for a full service anyway for the peace of mind.

So anyhow sent it to my watchmaker who is plain awesome .

A little shot of the val 23

One more for the road

So now he is keeping it for a few days to ensure it continues to run smoothly at +5
    Can’t wait to see it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Nivada coming home soon

Always assume a service is needed unless proof of service is provided.

Nivada coming home soon

Quote Originally Posted by Kreyke View Post
    Always assume a service is needed unless proof of service is provided.

Yup that is pretty much the way to go. The interesting bit is that you hear a lot about worn out parts and watches w dried up oils but for every watch I own from the 70s not a single thing (aside from mainspring and oiling) was needed. Goes to show they can go a long time without tlc (not that it is the way to go)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

WOW what a BEAUTY. No pprwrk to prove, then service is required. Nice specimen in incredible condition.
    Panerai 312 / Panerai 176 / Panerai 380 / 16600 SD / SBGA001 "Snowflake" /3573.50 "Sapphire Sandwich" /Junghans Max Bill Chronoscope /Sinn U1 / Longines Legend Diver -No Date / Anonimo D-Date./ Benarus- Bronze-Mo /Seiko 1970 Navigator Timer/Nomos Ahoi Atlantik /Oris 65 Diver / Seiko Turtle SRP777 / Zenith ​ El Primero Tri-Color/ Longines Avigation Big Eye.
    William

Quote Originally Posted by watchdaddy1 View Post
    WOW what a BEAUTY. No pprwrk to prove, then service is required. Nice specimen in incredible condition.

thanks watchdaddy1, I did take a leap of faith the original pictures were blurry and plain awful and was happily surprised when it showed up at my door step. At least from my perspective that part was a win....
    watchdaddy1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jmanlay View Post
    The interesting bit is that you hear a lot about worn out parts and watches w dried up oils but for every watch I own from the 70s not a single thing (aside from mainspring and oiling) was needed. Goes to show they can go a long time without tlc (not that it is the way to go)
    I have also had quite a few good experiences like this, even in cases where it seems likely that the case had never been opened. Sometimes I think that many people who bought watches in the 1970s may have transitioned to quartz watches relatively quickly, so those mechanical watches were saved the wear and tear.
    jmanlay likes this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    I have also had quite a few good experiences like this, even in cases where it seems likely that the case had never been opened. Sometimes I think that many people who bought watches in the 1970s may have transitioned to quartz watches relatively quickly, so those mechanical watches were saved the wear and tear.

I think that is a rather good explanation for 70s watch you had to wind or auto that somehow stopped working due to service need to then be replaced by quartz makes a lot of sense. some I am sure ended up in the bin some in a drawer. just wish my family had in interest in watches in that era but the answer to that question is sadly no....so I am on my own buying 70s pieces now...

Nice watch

Yes unless it comes with proof of a service then budget the cost of a service.

I think badbackdan does have a good point. Quartz watches were the new kid on the block in the 1970's and along with Accutron(tuning fork) and Hamilton(and others) with the Electronic watches and also the LCD and LED digital watch makers, mechanical watches were seen as old hat.

People were willing to spend a large amount of money on these electronic wonders. A lot of folks forget or don't realize that a decent quartz watch in the early to mid 1970's could cost $1000 or more.

Please post more pics when you get it back

Quote Originally Posted by journeyforce View Post
    Nice watch

Yes unless it comes with proof of a service then budget the cost of a service.

I think badbackdan does have a good point. Quartz watches were the new kid on the block in the 1970's and along with Accutron(tuning fork) and Hamilton(and others) with the Electronic watches and also the LCD and LED digital watch makers, mechanical watches were seen as old hat.

People were willing to spend a large amount of money on these electronic wonders. A lot of folks forget or don't realize that a decent quartz watch in the early to mid 1970's could cost $1000 or more.

Please post more pics when you get it back

sure thing pics to come soon

Thread Information