Nivada/ Croton Classic GMT compressor

Thread: Nivada/ Croton Classic GMT compressor

Nivada/ Croton Classic GMT compressor

I saw the thread on the Croton bumper auto watch and thought I would throw in this one too. You don't see a lot of them but the Nivada Antarctic GMT is everything as good as the Enicar Sherpa GMT.
    Nivada were selected as the USA Antartic expedition watch of choice back in the 50ies, Nivada had developed it's COMPENSATIC, balance spring that was supposed to be less affected by temperature change- the Boffins who selected the watch believed it to be too!
    This happened at around the same time Universal Geneve had developed the Polerouter, and interestingly the original Nivada Antarctic watch has Bombay lugs and most often the same hands (daphnie I think they are called?) yet a Nivada Antarctic is UNBELIEVABLY CHEAP! Nivada like Universal kept the name running and models like the GMT Antartic were made. The case is the same size as the Enicar Sherpa GMT and is also a Compressor case same as Sherpa with the bayonet fitment- compressor caseback, a tricky case to open indeed!
    I could dig out my original Antartic- if anyone is interested, and take comparison photo's with the Polerouter?.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Nivada/ Croton Classic GMT compressor

Pretty cool looking vintage~Cheers!

That's a nice one. I was not aware that Nivada had something like that in the Antarctic line. This is mine, a Chronometer version:

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Two very nice pieces!!

Very nice Chronometer, and you know Nivada and the US named Croton brands are SSOOO CHEAP! I did pay a fair bit for the GMT because everyone is out for Compressor Cased watches, but I think the brand derseves a lot more credit.
    When I have time I'll dig out the original Antarctic watch- it is a very nice watch and I believe will sky rocket in value when people begin to understand it is a watch with true HISTORY and collectability, the hands and chevrons on the Chronometer are the same as the original version.

Quote Originally Posted by can't find the time View Post
    Very nice Chronometer, and you know Nivada and the US named Croton brands are SSOOO CHEAP! I did pay a fair bit for the GMT because everyone is out for Compressor Cased watches, but I think the brand derseves a lot more credit.
    When I have time I'll dig out the original Antarctic watch- it is a very nice watch and I believe will sky rocket in value when people begin to understand it is a watch with true HISTORY and collectability, the hands and chevrons on the Chronometer are the same as the original version.
    While it is true unknown brands are great value buys, speculations that they will increase in value disproportionately faster than the general vintage market are likely to be shown false.

I have noticed pricing in the vintage market generally parallels the brand's pricing in the new market. Croton has sold the name to apply to Asian low cost watches. And Nivada, while still Swiss made, seems not to be setting any marketing records.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    While it is true unknown brands are great value buys, speculations that they will increase in value disproportionately faster than the general vintage market are likely to be shown false.

I have noticed pricing in the vintage market generally parallels the brand's pricing in the new market. Croton has sold the name to apply to Asian low cost watches. And Nivada, while still Swiss made, seems not to be setting any marketing records.
    It is not the Brand I speculate upon but the Model of watch from the brand, the Universal Polerouter has enjoyed huge success once people got to know it's history (only a recent thing), the Omega Speedmaster that went to the moon enjoys success, the Kontiki by Etrna, the Sherpa by Enicar- all these signify events that made that brand a mark in history- Nivada was especially chosen because of it's consistant time keeping in temperature variations and undoubtably an ability to withstand magnatism- peoples lives were at stake on this expedition! This specific model was chosen and Nivada Marketed it. Look at the price Nivada Aviator/Diver chronographs go for, for a supposedly unknown brand they do VERY WELL. Tissot is now a cheap brand so too Rotary and Zodiac- does that make their past classic's worthless? I wish I could buy some cheap Tissot 1940 chronographs a couple of cheap Zodiac Aerospace Jet 24hr or GMT or Power reserve or 36000 SST Astro's....

Quote Originally Posted by can't find the time View Post
    ... Tissot is now a cheap brand so too Rotary and Zodiac- does that make their past classic's worthless? I wish I could buy some cheap Tissot 1940 chronographs a couple of cheap Zodiac Aerospace Jet 24hr or GMT or Power reserve or 36000 SST Astro's....
    I never said these vintage classic's were worthless. I was only commenting on the market. The market's general demand comes from people who do not know as much about watches as do WUS members -- they work from a diminished capacity to distinguish value.

A run of the mill Omega will still go for more than any of your cited watches even though those watches are much more interesting. It is a fact we have to live with...
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Thread Information