Which 'No-Name' Chronograph 40s/50s was the best? Which movement was the best?
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Which 'No-Name' Chronograph 40s/50s was the best? Which movement was the best?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Which 'No-Name' Chronograph 40s/50s was the best? Which movement was the best?

As title states.

Was thinking Valjoux 72 but didnt that came out later? Or Venus 172?
    Vintage Chronographs and Divers are my thing.

Re: Which 'No-Name' Chronograph 40s/50s was the best? Which movement was the best?

1. Please define 'no-name'.
    2. Please define 'best'.
    3. There was no 'Venus 172', to my best knowledge.

Regards
    Tomcat
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

Re: Which 'No-Name' Chronograph 40s/50s was the best? Which movement was the best?

Hi Tomcat,

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat1960 View Post
    Please define 'best'.
    A justifiable question, but I'm afraid it can't be answered.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Tomcat1960 and redcow like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Ranfft View Post
    Hi Tomcat,

A justifiable question, but I'm afraid it can't be answered.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Which is precisely why I asked. If the OP shares his interpretation of 'best' with us, maybe we can help

Best,
    Tomcat

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

1. Please define 'no-name'.
    2. Please define 'best'.
    3. There was no 'Venus 172', to my best knowledge.

Regards
    Tomcat
    1. f.e. Chronographe Suisse, Universal Geneve etc.
    2. Highest accuracy and reliabilty seems a good denoter. Column Wheel mouvement probably.
    3. Meant the Venus 178. But this was late 50s correct?

My questions is, are there hidden gems with nice column wheel movements, in the mess off Landeron 48 based chronographs from the 40s and 50s. In steel?

Quote Originally Posted by Youmireme View Post
    1. f.e. Chronographe Suisse, Universal Geneve etc.
    2. Highest accuracy and reliabilty seems a good denoter. Column Wheel mouvement probably.
    3. Meant the Venus 178. But this was late 50s correct?

My questions is, are there hidden gems with nice column wheel movements, in the mess off Landeron 48 based chronographs from the 40s and 50s. In steel?
    1. Under the Chronographe Suisse label you can find chronographs with the Venus 170 column-wheel movement too. And you better don't tell anyone that you deem 'Universal Geneve' as no-name, at your risk of being laughed at

2. You're talking movements from a time when both accuracy and reliability were of paramount importance to watch buyers. So even "one from the mess of Landeron 48s" is perfectly capable of going very precise. It was made to do so.

And column wheels are vastly overrated. They serve no other purpose than overcomplicating the production process of a chronograph movement, requiring an experienced watchmaker to be adjusted. A cam-operated movement works with prefabricated parts which fall into the right place and do the right things without this additional adjustment effort. This is why they were invented in the first place.

Keep in mind, too, that the fabled 'moon watch' is cam-operated, too.

3. Have a look here:

Valjoux 72

Venus 178

According to these sources both were around in the 1940s.

If you're searching for hidden column-wheel gems you'll end with ... of all brands ... Landeron again. In particular the Landeron 39 is as nice, precise, reliable as any other chronograph movement, but available at a fraction of their cost. Steel cases, by the way, were not very common in the 1940s, it took a lot of effort to make them and they were thus found only in high-end watches.

Best
    Tomcat
    Last edited by Tomcat1960; August 9th, 2014 at 17:12.
    bobbee likes this.

(Roland Ranfft)

well yeah I know but was talking about the small names. Not Zenith,Omega etc..
    Any particular steel cased gems that can be had for a decent price?

So Landeron 39,VJ 72 and Venus 172 seems to be the top three? 'Depending on complications like triple date and phase de lune ofcourse´

I got no idea what a "no name is"? Anonymous maker?
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

1. Under the Chronographe Suisse label you can find chronographs with the Venus 170 column-wheel movement too. And you better don't tell anyone that you deem 'Universal Geneve' as no-name, at your risk of being laughed at
    Not by me. Universal made movements that were sold to Jaeger-LeCoultre and others. These usually had the "Jaeger" name only. Cases were inscribed "LeCoultre - Swiss Made", but some also were engraved "Enversteel" which was Universal's trademarked steel alloy. You can find some examples here:

Small Chronograph #2: Jaeger-branded UG Ref 5184 | Omega Forums

This makes Universal no different than Landeron, Venus or Valjoux when it comes to chronograph movements. It's just that the Universal also made these same watches under their own name, while the other companies didn't.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

Quote Originally Posted by gatorcpa View Post
    It's just that the Universal also made these same watches under their own name, while the other companies didn't.
    And this makes them not-so-no-name

Best
    Tomcat

(Roland Ranfft)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information