A no name lady watch with ETA 406

Thread: A no name lady watch with ETA 406

A no name lady watch with ETA 406

Hi all,

Here is another mysterious lady watch with an ETA 406 movement. The watch style looks very old and classic with a gild case. It is not working, but if it is a rare piece, maybe it is worth restoring? The ETA is engraved on the dial side of the movement, and 406 on the back side.

Cheers,

Zhang
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: A no name lady watch with ETA 406

Hi -

Fairly rare indeed: ETA 406 goes back, if I remember correctly, to the early 1920s, if not before, so this is a signifanctly older watch. Could be over 80 years old, and ladies watches of that time period are not exactly common. Of course, I may be off by as much as 10 or more years: the face points possibly to a more recent time period (numbers are appliqued and a '20s watch could have more likely had an enamel face).

Not sure about restoring: this would entail serious rebuilding, especially if parts need to be made. Is it totally dead, i.e. winds but nothing happens? Or does it start and then stop? Can it be wound at all?

Are you sure that it's gilded? Looks more like gold to me: the back of the watch is also gold, which usually is only the case (no pun intended) with solid gold cases; gilt is usually base metal or stainless steel, and in this case would probably be base metal.

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Re: A no name lady watch with ETA 406

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Hi -

Fairly rare indeed: ETA 406 goes back, if I remember correctly, to the early 1920s, if not before, so this is a signifanctly older watch. Could be over 80 years old, and ladies watches of that time period are not exactly common. Of course, I may be off by as much as 10 or more years: the face points possibly to a more recent time period (numbers are appliqued and a '20s watch could have more likely had an enamel face).

Not sure about restoring: this would entail serious rebuilding, especially if parts need to be made. Is it totally dead, i.e. winds but nothing happens? Or does it start and then stop? Can it be wound at all?

Are you sure that it's gilded? Looks more like gold to me: the back of the watch is also gold, which usually is only the case (no pun intended) with solid gold cases; gilt is usually base metal or stainless steel, and in this case would probably be base metal.

JohnF
    Hi JohnF,

Many thanks for your help. I never thought it is so old. So if it is around 1920's, which watch brands used ETA movements then?

The watch is completely dead, the balance is broke. I saw "garanted 10 jahre" on the inner side of the case back, a KJ encircled in a square with an arrow going through the two letters, and some tiny hand engraved numbers. And also a tiny pill-off of the gild gold on the case. The caseback looks more like a piece of solid gold. It is a 3 pieces case like some Russian lady watches.

Since no one will wear it, I will just keep it as is. It is about 21mm without the crown.

Cheers,

zhang

Thread Information